PDA

View Full Version : Can't Find Knoppix FileSystem

firefly2442
07-09-2004, 06:11 AM
When booting from floppy, my computer (200Mhz, old thing), cannot find the filesystem on the CD-ROM let alone find what the CD-ROM is. I have no previous experience working with this computer. Is it safe to say this CD-Drive is broken? I can put in a CD and Eject them.... knoppix has been great for other computers with hardware detection...

Any thoughts? Thanks. :)

turbinater
07-11-2004, 06:55 PM
Some (lesser quality) cd drives just don't work well with knoppix, most notably, Aopen drives. You may want to try swaping your cd drive with a different one to see if it's the drives fault, then post your results.

What brand of drive is it?

SolarCat
07-16-2004, 06:49 PM
I have the same problem, about the "missing filesystem." I bought a newer laptop, a nice Sharp UM30W, but the CD drive is a slow external drive. Do you think that if I found a newer CD drive it would work? Or would using USB 2.0 instead of the internal 1.0 fix it? I'd like to find a solution to this, and I'm hoping it's not just that my laptop is too new... I love the laptop but life with no Knoppix doesn't seem quite worth it now... :?

rossman2076
07-16-2004, 10:34 PM
This worked for me...

at Boot type: Knoppix nodma

Hope that helps,
Ross

firefly2442
07-18-2004, 07:09 AM
I tried swapping out the CD-DRIVE with another one and it was able to detect it and install. So far so good. Now I just need to find an small IDE hard drive for another older computer that I'm trying to get to work. :)

sstofflet
08-09-2004, 08:00 PM
Excellent advice!!

This worked for me...

at Boot type: Knoppix nodma

Hope that helps,
Ross