PDA

View Full Version : FAILURE DURING ALCATEL INSTALLATION - PLEASE HELP!!

Arran
07-09-2004, 08:15 PM
Hi, I am very new to linux and am in the process of trying to get my alcatel modem working so i can browse the web.

At this point I should probably tell you I am using the live cd of knoppix version 3.4,

I have copied and extracted the file:

speedtouchconf-19-06-2004.tar.gz

into my home directory, I have the copied the file :

mgmt.o

into the created directory speedtouchconf-19-06-2004.

I have then opened a shell window, changed from user to root with su command, then run :

sh speedtouchconf-19-06-2004.sh

I have then answered all the questions and away the installation goes, that is UNTIL !!!

/usr/bin/install: cannot create regular file `/usr/local/sbin/modem_run :
Read only file system

I have tried changing the file permission with

Root@TTYP1[local]# chmod a+w sbin

to which it says something along the lines of

changing user permissions of the file sbin : Read only file system

Getting very frustrating, I hope someone can help me with this problem I am pulling my hair out and cant find any info apart from the usual how to install $%& that I've been following.

Thanks for reading this massive problem

Arran :cry:

Ritchie
07-09-2004, 09:36 PM
Hi Arran

U say u are using the live cd if that is the case I am sorry but you cannot add software to the system while running the live cd version.

To add the software u either have to install to a hard drive and then add the software OR you can re-master the disk following the instructions available onthis site

ritchie

Arran
07-09-2004, 09:42 PM
many thanks, i have been dowinloading various torrent isos (full versions etc) and none of them after burning worked (ie installed) I really wanted to install it to a partition and have a dual o/s system, but have been unable to find a working full version.

I finally found a workmate who had the live eval version. I'd previously downloaded that twice and burned it to no avail.

I'll try and remaster, failing that I'll have to find a full version from somewhere.

n e way

many thanks

Arran
07-09-2004, 09:49 PM
Can anyone point me in the right direction as to which re-mastering and what it does?

Will it allow me to install it to a partition on my HDD or will it just allow me permissions over certain files?

any help welcome

and thx 2 richie

mzilikazi
07-10-2004, 12:55 AM
You don't need to remaster if you intend on installing it to hdd. You can add drivers or whatever you like to an hdd install. Remastering would be useful if you need to add something to the live cd.

Kano has made a script to ease with installing/configuring the Speedtouch modems. Look here:
http://kanotix.mipooh.net/viewtopic.php?t=291

Here is the scriipt you need:
http://kanotix.com/files/speedtouch-pppoatmconf.bash

As I understand it this should also work from live cd.