PDA

View Full Version : Removing LATEX and Lyx - a step back!

softgun
07-11-2004, 03:27 AM
Removing LATEX and Lyx is sad! Document processors are better than word processors people! They are easier and produce nice print output.

Let us get it back ASAP.

tearinghairout
07-11-2004, 08:10 AM
I agree that document processors are better than word processors, and LaTEX and Lyx are both very powerful tools.

But think for a moment about what people tend to use Knoppix for - system recovery tool, hardware detection and troubleshooting, gentle introduction for new Linux users, lazy persons debian installer, etc

Now do you really think there is a need for a document processing system in there, especially since (I believe) it is quite a big package.

CD's are only finite in size, so everytime so new "must have" package is wanted, something else has to be taken out. It is always a trade-off as what goes in and what gets taken out, and somehow I just see LaTEX being quite low down on most peoples list of needed packages.

If you have a particular need for it, you can always master your own Knoppix (softgnix?)

softgun
07-11-2004, 03:06 PM
:oops: I guess I shouldn't be tearing my hair out on this. You are right. I love Knoppix, and will be more sensible.

CrashedAgain
07-12-2004, 01:20 AM
You could do a HD install or a remaster & customize to have the packages you want.
If you check some of the posts in the 'news' section it is apparent that Klaus & whoever he has assisting him went though quite a struggle trying to determine what to keep in since both the 2.6 kernel & KDE 3.2 are larger than the previous versions & something had to go.