PDA

View Full Version : Getting the monitor in the right resolution

Jez
07-12-2004, 01:06 AM
Hi there. I recently did a hard disk install, and now I'm trying to get various things working. One such thing is my monitor. It 'works' fine, but the highest resolution available was 1024x768, and it seemed to insist on running at 100Hz.

After a bit of searching etc., I came to the conclusion that I needed to fiddle with XF86Config-4 a bit. I did so. I commented out a load of lines which one thread suggested, and that did nothing by itself. However, I then looked futher down in the file, and found a bit which seemed to list available resolutions for each bit depth.

The lists for each depth listed "1024x768" as being the highest resolution. I simple stuck "1600x1200" "1280x1024" on the beginning of each of these lines.

This partially worked. Thing is, now everything is running at 1280x1024, which is one of the options I added... But this now seems to be the highest resolution available. I'm currently sitting here in Windows (:() and everything is working happilly at 1600x1200, like it always has done. I'm a bit clueless why "1600x1200" is not available for me in Linux at the moment.

Anybody know what I should be editing/installing to make this work properly?

If it's any help, I'm using an LG F900P monitor. I think this is more of a software thing though, right?

Any help appreciated :)

Stephen
07-12-2004, 08:22 AM
Hi there. I recently did a hard disk install, and now I'm trying to get various things working. One such thing is my monitor. It 'works' fine, but the highest resolution available was 1024x768, and it seemed to insist on running at 100Hz.

After a bit of searching etc., I came to the conclusion that I needed to fiddle with XF86Config-4 a bit. I did so. I commented out a load of lines which one thread suggested, and that did nothing by itself. However, I then looked futher down in the file, and found a bit which seemed to list available resolutions for each bit depth.

The lists for each depth listed "1024x768" as being the highest resolution. I simple stuck "1600x1200" "1280x1024" on the beginning of each of these lines.

This partially worked. Thing is, now everything is running at 1280x1024, which is one of the options I added... But this now seems to be the highest resolution available. I'm currently sitting here in Windows (:() and everything is working happilly at 1600x1200, like it always has done. I'm a bit clueless why "1600x1200" is not available for me in Linux at the moment.

Anybody know what I should be editing/installing to make this work properly?

If it's any help, I'm using an LG F900P monitor. I think this is more of a software thing though, right?

Any help appreciated :)

Go into the config file again and make sure that you have the proper refresh rates set in the section that should look similar to this.

# KDS Visual Sensations VS 190i
Section "Monitor"
#DisplaySize 350 265 # mm
Identifier "Monitor0"
Option "DPMS" "true"
VendorName "KDS"
ModelName "KDS1985"
HorizSync 30 - 95 # DDC-probed
VertRefresh 50 - 160 # DDC-probed

EndSection

You should be using according to this page (http://www.lg.ca/computer/prodSpecification.asp?p=3227) 30 -107 for the horizontal and 50-160 for the vertical. You may want to take a look into the /var/log/Xfree86.0.log file and see what the driver you are using for the video card will support under linux and it usually has the information probed from the monitor included as well.

Jez
07-12-2004, 05:42 PM
Thanks for replying. I've spent quite a lot of time fiddling around with all sorts of settings this afternoon, but I haven't really got anywhere. Actually at one point I made a bit of a mess of things, and spent ages trying to even make X start properly again :P

I found this line in my XFree86.0.log:

(II) VESA(0): Not using mode "1600x1200" (no mode of this name)

Is this a limitation of the drivers then, that 1280x1024 is the highest resolution I can use?

When I was messing with kxconfig I tried using various drivers but the only ones that seem to work are vesa. I have a Radeon 9600XT, just to let you know.