PDA

View Full Version : Graphics all wrong

Borthas
07-12-2004, 06:44 AM
I'm new to this board and to Knoppix. I don't know if this is a known bug or if the issue is with my computer.

Once I get into the OS (after all the booting), all the graphics seem wrong, as if the colors were reversed. I can't seem to see all of the desk top. I can barely read the few things I can see.

Is it a problem because my graphic card is "new"?

Intel P4 2.6 ghz with hyper threading
1 gig of 400 mhz DDR
MSI GFX 5950 256 megs
Sound Blaster Live! Basic

Borthas
07-13-2004, 12:33 AM
Can I get some help please?

CrashedAgain
07-13-2004, 02:26 AM
I don't really know much about video but ....
When knoppix is starting up, one of the messages scrolling by is 'Video card detected....' etc.
Is it detecting the proper video card ? And using the proper driver?
Look in /etc/X11/XF86Config-4, about 3/4 of the way through the file is a section on what video driver it is using. Does it look correct?
If you suspect this is the problem, you CAN change this by editing the file, perhaps to try the using the VESA driver which is a sort of failsafe fallback driver. If you change this file, you will have to logout/login to have the changes take effect, just choose 'end session only' on logout & it will log right back in.

Borthas
07-13-2004, 03:14 AM
First of all, I can't log out and relog in as I can't see all of the desktop and everything is messed up.

I'll boot it up again and look for what video card it detects and see what driver it uses. Thanks.

Borthas
07-13-2004, 04:36 AM
I was able to boot and see everything after I used the knoppix noagp command.
My video card was detected as : nVidia Coporation unknown device 10de:0333

I suppose that my video card is too recent to be properly detected. Thanks people.

Now is there a way to use a USB flashdrive (memory stick, whatever people call it) to be the home directory so as to keep all my config?

CrashedAgain
07-13-2004, 06:27 AM
I think you can 'make persistent home' on a flash drive. There is a wizard, look under the 'Knoppix' menu item.