PDA

View Full Version : I'm new here and say hello to every body.

Coorme
07-12-2004, 05:24 PM
Hello, every body in knoppix.net, I'm new here. I want to make friend with all of U!
I'm a China Boy in Shanghai, nearly I found Knoppix on the internet, I downloaded one the use, I found this OS is very easy for every body who want to work on Linux OS. Before this I have never userd the Linux OS. This is my first time to use Linux. So I decide to do one CD for me and other Chinese with Chinese. But I only know a little about the Linux. So I will learn more on Linux.

Best wishes for all of you!
Stephen More
Shanghai, PRC
My E_mail:Xin2Yi@hotmail.com

j.drake
07-13-2004, 03:41 AM
Allow me to have the honor of being the first to welcome you here. I hope you enjoy your experience here and with linux. This site is visited by some of the nicest and most helpful people I've found online.

Take a look at the tabs along the top of this page, and note the one titled "docs". In there you will find a wealth of information on linux. You will also find a search box at the top of the page. Many of the questions you will have about linux have already been asked and answered by someone else, so you'll probably want to look there first.

Again, it's great to have you here.

jd

ahfoo
07-13-2004, 05:32 AM
Hey bud.
Check it out, if you're Chinese, you might want to take a look at the distros available at

ftp3.tnc.edu.tw in the /knoppix directory

That site contains knoppix distros that have been localized for Chinese users to include character input using both Big5 and GB format. Also, most of the menus are in Chinese. Naturally you can use English as well. It's very similar to the setup of Chinese Windows.
At the moment, the one called B1VA1 is the nearest to completion in my opinion. In my experience, it can use character input without any further modification. Just boot up and you can type Chinese documents in Open Office and search the Web in Chinese with Mozilla. There are a few other .isos in there like Knoppix CLE that also have much of the Chinese work done.
You should also check out Cluster Knoppix.

Coorme
07-13-2004, 02:43 PM
Thanks all of you!

Because I am a boy in shanghai, i :D want to bulid one use Simplified Chinese, So I want to know how to change the language. And I want to study English well here.

:D

Best wishes!

Stephen More
Shanghai, PRC

MCRSR1
07-28-2004, 02:36 AM
I am new here too. I heard about Knoppix a few months agon and am just now getting around exploring it. All I can say is WOW, I'm super impressed. Its been more 10 years since I had anything to do with the Unix OS. Knoppix looks oh so familiar but I am sure I will have to do some relearning before I'm comfortable with it. So far, I find everyone in this forum, respectful (wish all were like this) and helpful. I know I will like it here.

Rich

mzilikazi
07-28-2004, 04:00 AM
Hello and welcome to all the noobs! There is SO much documentation available for Linux it's insane! Read, enjoy and certainly do not be afraid to ask questions. We were all noobs at one time eh?

I can promise that if you really want to learn a better way of computing Linux is your answer. All I would ask is that you give Debian GNU Linux the same effort and time you've given M$. I promise you'll not be sorry. :)