PDA

View Full Version : A few Knoppix questions.

Slay3r
07-13-2004, 08:34 PM
Hi all,

I have tryed a few diferent distros of Linux that can be booted to CD and i have found Knoppix to be a great system but i have 3 questiosn.

1st:
The option to save the configuration of Knoppix to a floppy disk is good but i dont use a floppy drive in this system, is there a way it can read from a file on a windows partition and also save to it?

2nd:
The only GUI refresh rates i have seen are 70Hz and 75Hz and these make my screen look weird so can the XF86Config be edited befor a new ISO is burnt or can the file be chaned while the system/OS is booted ?

3rd:
Can Knoppix be cut down to fit a mini CD ? and if it can what are the largest files that can be removed ?

Thnx
Slay3r

CrashedAgain
07-13-2004, 10:55 PM
Hi all,

I have tryed a few diferent distros of Linux that can be booted to CD and i have found Knoppix to be a great system but i have 3 questiosn.

1st:
The option to save the configuration of Knoppix to a floppy disk is good but i dont use a floppy drive in this system, is there a way it can read from a file on a windows partition and also save to it?

2nd:
The only GUI refresh rates i have seen are 70Hz and 75Hz and these make my screen look weird so can the XF86Config be edited befor a new ISO is burnt or can the file be chaned while the system/OS is booted ?

3rd:
Can Knoppix be cut down to fit a mini CD ? and if it can what are the largest files that can be removed ?

Thnx
Slay3r
1> Yes, you can make a 'persistent home' and save configs file on the HD & run off the CD. You will have to use the 2.6 kernel if the HD is formatted windows NTFS.

2> Yes and no. No you cannot just edit XF86Config before burning the CD, XF86Config files are buried in the big 'KNOPPIX' compressed file system & you would have to go through the 'remastering' procedure to change it. Yes, you can edit XF86Config files after booting. Make your changes (you will have to be root) and then logout 'end session only' which will log you right back in to have them take effect.

3> Yes, you can remaster Knoppix to fit on a mini CD. There is lots of info on remastering, start with the 'docs' listing at the top menu bar on this site.

eco2geek
07-14-2004, 09:27 AM

Only if the Windows partition is formatted as FAT32. You should not try saving your configuration to an NTFS partition, as Linux cannot reliably write to NTFS. If you do, you risk corrupting your data. (No matter whether you use kernel 2.4 or kernel 2.6.)

If you install the "Captive" drivers, you probably could -- I haven't tried -- but then there's the question of whether Knoppix would load saved configs from an NTFS partition. (I'll have to try that out to be sure, but I doubt it.)

You can start Knoppix using the "2" cheatcode, which will start it up in text-only mode, make your changes to XF86Config-4, then run startx. If you then save your configs, XF86Config-4 will be saved as part of them. Reload your saved configs the next time you run Knoppix, and you won't have to edit it again.

For examples of this, look at Damn Small Linux (http://www.damnsmalllinux.org/) and Flonix CD Edition (http://www.flonix.com/article.php?id_article=14). The topic is beyond my knowledge, but there is a Customizing and Remastering (http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewforum.php?f=2) section on this board that can help you.