PDA

View Full Version : Debian boot menu question

riechert
07-13-2004, 09:17 PM
I did a HD install of Knoppix 3.4. When I boot I see a graphical Debian boot menu with a choice of Linux, Linux 2.4 and Linux 2.6. So far I've just let it go with the Linux default. What's the difference between the 3 choices (2.4 and 2.6 referring to different kernel versions maybe?) and what's the impact of choosing one over the other?

mzilikazi
07-14-2004, 12:46 AM
'Linux' is a link to one of your kernels.
Have a look at /etc/lilo.conf to see which.

You are correct in your assertaion of the 2.4 & 2.6- they are different kernels. You can have many kernels on your system simutaneously. I've had as many as 6 (not sure if there's a limit) but I would think not.

rrfish72
07-14-2004, 05:05 AM
Did you change the timeout in the loader?

If you did can you let me know how?

3 seconds is not enough time for me. That's what mine is set at.

riechert
07-14-2004, 07:26 AM
Checked my /etc/lilo.conf. The 3 image entries are vmlinuz, vmlinuz-2.4.26 and vmlinuz-2.6.6. A check of /boot reveals the vmlinuz is a link to the 2.4 image.

What affect on the installed apps is there in choosing one kernel over another?

I haven't changed the delay. I do see a delay=20 line which the description says is the number of tenths of a second it waits (2 seconds in this case).

scruffyeagle
07-17-2004, 12:34 AM
Did you change the timeout in the loader?

If you did can you let me know how?

3 seconds is not enough time for me. That's what mine is set at.

Hi!

I'm still wet behind the ears, as far Linux is concerned, and I haven't tested to be sure of this (I'd need to power down this machine & power up the other one for testing what I'm going to say) - but usually if you can put some kind of entry into the computer (anything would do) without it taking that as command to proceed, that will disrupt the sequencing of the timer. Then, you can take your sweet time deciding what you want next. Hope this helps! (Hope I've got this right,...)

Scruffy

rrfish72
07-17-2004, 04:23 AM
Where do I put anything? This is What I have now to change the timer.

Specifies the number of _tenths_ of a second LILO should
# wait before booting the first image. LILO
# doesn't wait if DELAY is omitted or if DELAY is set to zero.

delay=20

# Prompt to use certaing image. If prompt is specified without timeout,
# boot will not take place unless you hit RETURN

prompt
#timeout150

This does not change anything even after running lilo -v. I don't understand what you mean.

scruffyeagle
07-17-2004, 09:11 AM
Where do I put anything? This is What I have now to change the timer.

Specifies the number of _tenths_ of a second LILO should
# wait before booting the first image. LILO
# doesn't wait if DELAY is omitted or if DELAY is set to zero.

delay=20

# Prompt to use certaing image. If prompt is specified without timeout,
# boot will not take place unless you hit RETURN

prompt
#timeout150

This does not change anything even after running lilo -v. I don't understand what you mean.

I've played with my new installation since my last post, so my memory of what it does is refreshed.

What I was trying to tell you, is that when the system throws up the LILO bitmap interface with the options in a list and the timer ticking down at the bottom of the screen, doing anything at all the OS can interpret as valid input disrupts the timer. If you push the down arrow key, changing the focus from the top (default) item to the second item on the list, the timer immediately stops ticking down and it'll sit there waiting indefinitely for the next input. It works that way on the CD-boot menu, too. If you push F2 or F3 for the other options screens, the timer is disrupted and it won't proceed until you've finished typing in your command line input.

If you change your "#timeout=150" line to become "timeout=3000", I think that would make the thing wait a full 5 minutes before applying the default image. ( 3000 / 10 = 300 ---> 300 / 60 = 5 )

I haven't tried monkeying with any of these LILO settings yet, so I'm not really up to speed re. what you'd have to do to make that change stick. Maybe just changing the contents of LILO's config file is enough?

Hope this helped.

rrfish72
07-18-2004, 08:00 PM
I figured it out. I just commented the timeout=50 and then closed and immediately ran lilo. I think that was my problem

Now there is no time at the boot menu and it waits for the enter to be hit.

Thanks for the help.