PDA

View Full Version : Partitioning with knoppix-installer...

pandamonium54
07-14-2004, 07:36 AM
The laptop is only going to be running Linux, but I do plan to share files with WinXP computers. Anyway, I want to do a harddrive installation...

I've created a 20GB primary partition, set it as bootable. By default, the filesystem is set to Linux.
Then I created a logical 768MB linux swap partition.
The remaining space was partitioned as NTFS.

I then wrote the partition table to the drive. When I exit the partition tool, I get this message:

"The installer detected that the installation requirements are not fullfilled yet.

Please make sure that you have an free partition with at least 2 GB to install knoppix on. Also we need a swap partition with at least 128 MB, if you don't have 512 MB Memory or more.

In the following menu, you can [...]"

What requirements haven't I met?? I'm just using the partitioning tool supplied with knoppix-installer if that helps. (I can't start qtparted)

eco2geek
07-14-2004, 08:49 AM
The trick is to go through the entire first step -- "1. Configure Installation" -- then quit without going any further, and save your configuration by answering "yes" when it asks.

(You can save your knoppix-installer configuration under your own filename/location, but if you do, you'll have to reload it manually. So let's not muddy the waters with that.)

The default configuration file is saved as /root/.knofig (note the leading dot -- it's normally hidden). Edit this part of .knofig in your favorite text editor:

# If set to yes, the program will NOT check if there is enough space to install knoppix on the selected partition(s). Use at your own risk! Useful for example with HD_MAP if you only have a small root partition.
# Possible are: yes|no
# Default value is: no
HD_IGNORECHECK="no"

Change the "no" to "yes" and save the file, and when you restart the knoppix-installer, you will no longer get this error message.

Check out the rest of .knofig to see other options you can play with.

pandamonium54
07-15-2004, 04:40 AM
Hmm. I ran:
emacs /root/.knofig
and got an empty file. When I hit ctrl+alt+f5 to get back into the GUI, I can't mount Hda1. All I want to do is force Knoppix to install to those partitions... am I doing something wrong?

I figured knoppix-installer would actually work in the 5/10/04 release...