PDA

View Full Version : Partition problem: "Error: expected at least 7 tokens..

palex
07-14-2004, 02:54 PM
Trying to install double-boot with preinstalled Win xp, 250 GB mirror HDD . Current partition (with Partition magic):
50 MB - FAT (Dellutilities) primary, 160GB - NTFS primary, 20 GB - FAT32 logical, ~70 GB - unallocated.

Then I started knx-hdinstall (v 3.3) and got the following after a second dialogue window:

"Error: expected at least 7 tokens for --radiolist, have 5".

Prepartitioning (again with Partition magic) of the empty space as ex2 or ex3 and extra swap partition does not help. cfdisk results in "FATAL ERROR: connot open disk drive" ...
Knoppix runs well from a CD.

What is wrong with this partition and/or installation?

mzilikazi
07-14-2004, 04:06 PM
Trying to install double-boot with preinstalled Win xp, 250 GB mirror HDD . Current partition (with Partition magic):
50 MB - FAT (Dellutilities) primary, 160GB - NTFS primary, 20 GB - FAT32 logical, ~70 GB - unallocated.

Then I started knx-hdinstall (v 3.3) and got the following after a second dialogue window:

"Error: expected at least 7 tokens for --radiolist, have 5".

That's an error from the installer itself. Are you runing the installer from X or run level 2? Try whichever one you've not yet tried. Of course it would be a good idea to get the latest Knoppix if you can.

To get run level 2 at the boot: type

knoppix 2

Prepartitioning (again with Partition magic) of the empty space as ex2 or ex3 and extra swap partition does not help.

Prepartitionig as ext2 or ext3? This makes no sense to me. You cannot partition as ext2 or ext3. You create a partition then you put a filesystem on it. These are two different things.

What is wrong with this partition and/or installation?

From what I've read (nope haven't tried it myself) PM is anything but magic but it does appear to be quite good at hosing up partition tables. Anyway....

cfdisk results in "FATAL ERROR: connot open disk drive" ...
Knoppix runs well from a CD.

Are you running cfdisk as root?

sudo cfdisk /dev/hda

palex
07-14-2004, 06:48 PM
boot: knoppix 2

is followed by "command not found"...

sudo cfdisk /dev/hda - the same FATAL ERROR,

but
sudo cfdisk /dev/ returns "Opened disk read-only - you have no permission to write"
Could that be the cause?
May be I indeed need to try 3.4 (though a friend who gave me v.3.3 succedded with that CD)...