PDA

View Full Version : Linksys WUSB11 v2.5 Wireless Network Adapter (Prism)

Tankerkevo
07-14-2004, 06:51 PM
My system:
Pentium 4 2.53
Asus Motherboard,
USB 2.0
512mb RAM

I am running off the CD and not an HDD Installation.

First a couple images:
http://www.tankergames.com/images/snapshot1.png
http://www.tankergames.com/images/snapshot2.png

As you can see, the system corectly finds it in the USB port, but doesn't seem to be able to find it when I tell it to configure it. I've also tried the network.sh script method where you also change the etc/network/interfaces file and that didn't work either. I simply had the same errors in the above pictures appear faster.

If anyone has gotten this device to work PLEASE reply to this message! If you have had this problem and never found a solution also reply, as I am about to give up on it myself...but I thought I give it on last shot.

I've heard that this device has worked on earlier versions of Knoppix, but not any of the recent ones. I think it might be the newer versions of the wlanctl-ng driver, not sure. All I know is nothing I've tried works, and every other thread about the WUSB11 v2.5 seems to end with the damn thing still not working.

Tankerkevo
07-14-2004, 07:51 PM
UPDATE!!!

I have gotten this device to work! Here's exactly what I did:

1. I booted into knoppix 3.4 with the default 2.4 kernel.

2. I had the device (WUSB11 v2.5) plugged in during boot.

3. Once the gui got done loading I opened a terminal window.

4. I then removed the device from the usb port.

5. As root (to become root type "su root" and hit enter) I typed
"rmmod prism2_usb".

6. I then plugged the device back in and typed
ifup wlan0.

7. Then I typed
modprobe prism2_usb prism2_doreset=1

8. Now I typed
wlanctl-ng wlan0 lnxreq_ifstate ifstate=enable At this point my status light started blinking, signifying that I was drawing closer to Mecca!

9. Next I typed
wlanctl-ng wlan0 lnxreq_autojoin ssid=linkkor authtype=opensystemNOTE: "linkkor" is the name of my ssid, you gotta change this to yours. Linksys routers simply use "linksys" out of the box.

10. On the knoppix menu (It's the little penguin Guy at the bottom of the desktop) I went to "Network\Internet" and clicked "Network Card Configuration", a dialog popped up and asked if I wanted to use DHCP and I clicked yes. NOTE:I did not goto "Wavelan Configuartion" as this was already done in step 9.

11. I cruised over to these forums to let others know!

A thanks goes out to Jacek Pliszka from http://www.fuw.edu.pl/~pliszka/hints/prism2.html for the excellent info. on prism2 and specifically the WUSB11 v2.5. His is the only tutorial that even mentions running the "rmmod prism2_usb" command before inserting the device. Made all the difference in the world!

PLEASE NOTE: This is exactly how I got this device to work. You probably don't have to have the device plugged in at boot, but I did so I included it here. This will probably work with other distributions, but note that in step 10 I used a feature inside knoppix, your distro may or may not have a similiar feature.

Tankerkevo
07-16-2004, 04:26 AM
BUMP!

Woohoo I am so pumped about getting this thing working!

A. Jorge Garcia
07-16-2004, 03:32 PM
OK, so you like your linksys wireless router is what I'm gathering here. I'm thinking of dumping my dlink wired router and going wireless. Any pointers?

BTW, your description is from a liveCD boot, right? Do you have to take all those steps everytime you boot up? How about running knoppix-installer to make your wireless setup permanent. How would that go?

TIA,
AJG

Tankerkevo
07-19-2004, 08:23 PM
OK, so you like your linksys wireless router is what I'm gathering here. I'm thinking of dumping my dlink wired router and going wireless. Any pointers?

BTW, your description is from a liveCD boot, right? Do you have to take all those steps everytime you boot up? How about running knoppix-installer to make your wireless setup permanent. How would that go?

TIA,
AJG

Well, I do own a Linksys router and USB adapter, but I must admit it has come with soem dissapointments. My first router I bought went bad a month after having, the wiresless simply failed...and then the Linksys Tech Support toyed with me for 2 wks before they gave me an RMA number to send it back. Then about after 2 months of owning the router I have now I discovered that port two on the back of the device doesn't carry a signal...but after having dealt with their tech support once I didn't want to do it again, so nothing is plugged into that port and it's still a dud port.

In all fairness to linksys though, they probably thought I had no idea what I was doing...even though I had repeatedly told them I did. In the two weeks I was getting the run around I probably did the same procedure 4 times a day...and when I would tell the help rep that I already went through this they would simply say, "Well, I'm going to try something different so please follow my instructions to a key."...but it was always the same. Finally I simply asked for a manager, and then for the manager of the manager. It was at this point that they told me that to get an RMA # all I had to do was go to a certain spot on their website. I was po'ed as many of their tech reps told me they had to authorize an RMA #, which was bogus. It was certainly a bad experience.

When my brother went wireless I told him to go with Belkin, as I have heard people don't like dlink either. I guess it's a relatively new technology, and a technology that changes quickly, so it's tough for these companies to get well tested and high quality stuff on the shelves. Which is sad seeing that the junk costs so much.

And yes, every time I reboot I must retype all of the commands. But, after you do it a few times it really only takes a couple seconds.

A. Jorge Garcia
07-20-2004, 05:13 AM
I don't have a problem with my dlink. It always worked great with my mini LAN in my home office on my cable modem. I'm just sick of all the wires! I'm going to have to look into this some more....

Thanx,
AJG

Mark Walter
07-24-2004, 02:48 PM
Tankerkevo

Thanks for the tip.

I have a d-link usb adapter wlan. I followed your advice, and some advice from others. I'm getting close: I can get the system to recognize the adapter is therre, and even get airsnort to read it
BUT
I can't connect it to the browser, and it seems that I have to run as root to get anything to work at all.

I'm running from KNOPPIX V3.4 live CD

any hints?

Mark

Drenhead
08-30-2004, 06:22 PM
I'm also having problems getting the WUSB11 to work.

When I type your first command: rmmod prism2_usb

I get an error saying device not installed.

Any suggestions?

opel70
10-13-2004, 09:03 PM
Thank you. I finally have the built-in wireless adapter working on my Compaq laptop now. So, how do I get this to happen when Knoppix starts up?

Tim

babylizzard
10-15-2004, 06:37 PM
hey hopefully someone here can help me

i've followed the directions so far but as soon as i get to the line

wlanctl-ng wlan0...

it gives me an error about wlanctl-ng not being enabled or a valid function (i forget exactly what it was)

anyways what do i have to download in order for the wlanctl-ng to work?