PDA

View Full Version : knoppix corrupted my hdd

georgewh
07-14-2004, 06:56 PM
i installed knoppix to my seagate baracuda 160gb, on a 10gb partition, but it refused to boot. i could select windows or linux from LILO, but when i choose either, it just gave ma a blank screen.
So i formatted the disk again, but when i rebooted, it said the hdd was 0gb, and its name had changed from ST3160021A to ST>1<0<2!! or something similar... and now nothing can read the hdd. Any ideas? could it have been knoppix that did this? thanks either way

xaviers2002
07-14-2004, 07:00 PM
Are You able to get into w$?

georgewh
07-14-2004, 07:07 PM
w$?

xaviers2002
07-14-2004, 07:20 PM
Sorry... Windows.

georgewh
07-14-2004, 07:30 PM
no nothing can read/write the drive....
also, the only way i can boot knoppix is to disconnect the hdd, as knoppix crashes on startup when it tried to search the hdd for a home directory or sumething like that

ZeroKun
07-14-2004, 08:04 PM
iirc, some drives that are big have a parrtition which has something the disk needs to work properly, thats all i can say.

xaviers2002
07-14-2004, 09:26 PM
Does this mean that KNOPPIX delete that partition?
It sounds strange; usually linux is know to be very respecfull of data.

tr
07-16-2004, 08:38 AM
could it have been knoppix that did this?

No but the problem is with the new 2.6 kernel. Your partition table is corrupted and can be repaired as adviced in SUSE's page http://portal.suse.com/sdb/en/2004/05/fhassel_windows_not_booting91.html

The problem is that the BIOS and Linux 'see' different disk geometries AND The Windows partition is > 8 GB. Activate LBA from BIOS and check that hard disk value IS NOT set to AUTO.

-tapsa-

georgewh
07-18-2004, 12:25 PM
could it have been knoppix that did this?

No but the problem is with the new 2.6 kernel. Your partition table is corrupted and can be repaired as adviced in SUSE's page http://portal.suse.com/sdb/en/2004/05/fhassel_windows_not_booting91.html

The problem is that the BIOS and Linux 'see' different disk geometries AND The Windows partition is > 8 GB. Activate LBA from BIOS and check that hard disk value IS NOT set to AUTO.

-tapsa-

i tried this, but when i add the 'driver update' for the suse installation, it sees the hdd as 160gb, and says that the partition table is 'OK', and doesnt change anything, however, it wont install, as it says its unable to create partition hda2.
when i reboot, it detects the name correctly, but after i try to access the drive, it becomes unreadable again :|

also, the 'auto' setting in my bios has always worked correctly before, with LBA enabled. the only other setting i have in the bios is 'auto, disabled, cdrom', so i have no choice :(

but thanks for your help anyway!

xaviers2002
07-18-2004, 08:30 PM
[quote]: also, the 'auto' setting in my bios has always worked correctly before, with LBA enabled. the only other setting i have in the bios is 'auto, disabled, cdrom', so i have no choice.

Did You clik "ENTER" when You scroll between "AUTO CDROM DISABLE"? If not You have to do this after You see "AUTO".

georgewh
07-18-2004, 08:37 PM
[quote]: also, the 'auto' setting in my bios has always worked correctly before, with LBA enabled. the only other setting i have in the bios is 'auto, disabled, cdrom', so i have no choice.

Did You clik "ENTER" when You scroll between "AUTO CDROM DISABLE"? If not You have to do this after You see "AUTO".

yes i did... auto is the only setting where it detects the hdd at all

shah
07-19-2004, 04:04 PM
try fdisk /mbr

voldemort
07-19-2004, 10:00 PM
go to the manufacturers website (seagate) they generally have boot diskettes to diagnose and repair their model drives (in case drive geometry is messed up)

shah
07-20-2004, 03:14 AM
The same problem happen to me few moth ago when i used grub with xp, but i manage to repair the problem using testdisk utility. This utility is builtin with knoppix. You can try recover your partition using knoppix cd and run testdisk.
Or you can get utility and use a floppy.
Get the utility form here:
http://www.cgsecurity.org/