PDA

View Full Version : Swap partition on different drive

pbock
07-15-2004, 12:50 PM
Hello to everybody,
I just wondered whether it is possible to have the swap partition on a different (physical) drive.
The entry point to this question is, that I have only a 2,2 GByte drive available for the installation of KNOPPIX; although the memory of the PC is 1 GByte, the KNOPPIX 3.4 installation without a swap drive does not perform without errors. Thus I intend to add a 1,6 GByte drive for the /home directory and the swap partition. However it is impossible to configure a swap partition on /dev/hdb, to be recognised during installation.
Any suggestions how to solve the problem?
Thanks a lot for all efforts in advance

PBock

eco2geek
07-15-2004, 09:56 PM
It's not very well documented (Wiki entry, anyone?), but the knoppix-installer script saves its configuration file under the name /root/.knofig (given the right conditions!), and you can tell it where to look for your swap file by editing .knofig in a text editor.

Given that you run knoppix-installer as root from the live Knoppix CD, go through step 1 of the installer (configuration), then quit the installer, and it'll ask you if you want to save your configuration. Answer "yes".

Look in /root for the file .knofig (it's normally hidden since it starts with a dot). Open it in your favorite text editor.

Look for this section:

# The swap partitions to be used by the installed knoppix.
# This value will be checked by function module_swap_check
SWAP_CHOICES="/dev/hda3"

(As you might guess, /dev/hda3 is where my swap file is.) Change the value to yours (hdb1, hdb2, etc.). It must already be formatted as swap.

Save .knofig and restart the installer and it'll pick up your changes.

You can also tell it where to mount your home directory by editing .knofig -- look for the HD_MAP= entry.