PDA

View Full Version : Redneck Gardener NFS Windows Question

Arbogast
12-18-2002, 03:42 PM
I am a gardener in Georgia, not a computer programmer, so excuse me if my question is ignorant.

I have a family database viewing program, I want to be able to get files (pics and whatever) from other relatives Windows computers into my Linux System.

What do I need to fix to make a custom Knoppix CD that will boot with a known IP/name for itself and another regular Linux so I can take over a Windows machine by CD and file transfer with NFS.

On regular Linux
I understand editing the NFS client server files.
I understand how to put in IP and Host name.

Can I edit Knoppix on a hard drive and then burn it to CD and be able to take over any relatives Dell and transfer files???

Any help on what to read would be GREATLY appreciated!!

Arbogast
12-18-2002, 03:53 PM
Ok, I guess answers are in Knoppix Remastering HOWTO thread???

aay
12-19-2002, 03:58 AM
Arbogast, you're right. The only way to do what you want to do is by following the directions that eadz and others have put in the remastering howto.

Arbogast
12-19-2002, 04:02 PM
I have a Family Photo program and archive I keep on my Linux computers (I like Windows, but I have found it is unreliable for maintaining huge archives of .tiff and .mp3 files uncorrupted in experience)

I need to get lots of files sometimes from relatives computers. People freak out when you want to pop open the Dell Case and pop in a Linux Hard Drive to get the data out, or casually suggest they should upgrade that PC with a HD Bay so they can go back and forth between Windows and Linux.

A modified Knoppix CD and a portable Linux, both running NFS client and server would be perfect.