PDA

View Full Version : Intel 537ep winmodem driver install question HELLLLLLLLP!

jock
07-15-2004, 04:10 PM
Hello again,
Please ! someone out there must know how to do it

:(

Ive downloaded the file from INTEL for my modem.
Ive copied my KNOPPIX CD to my harddrive (NOT AN INSTALL)
I am running from my harddrive
Ive made a swap file on my HD and a persistant HOME image
How do I install my modem driver? what do I do with the .tgz thingy ? :?

JOCK

mzilikazi
07-17-2004, 12:27 AM
Well first of all I know absolutely nothing about winmodems. Secondly I don;t know if you can install anything when booting the compressed KNOPPIX fromn hdd.

Where did you get the .tgz? They should have instructions for how to install it.

You simply issue:

tar xzvf file.tgz to extract it. I think there is some sort of archive utility in KDE that should also work to extract the driver.

jock
07-17-2004, 11:22 AM
Thanks for reply mzilikazi,

I am trying to do an Install but Windoze wont let me partition the disc. I think its something to do with the OEM install procedure from the install discs from what I can see I think it allocates all the disk to windows. I have a copy of win 98se and I plucking up courage to wipe the disc and install this so I can split the partition

PJ

edit I got it from the INTEL site

pgk3734
07-17-2004, 06:22 PM
First, download a copy of Partition Magic and make a linux ex3 partition on your hd.

Second, if you are using dial-up, obtain an EXTERNAL modem that will be very easy to
set up in any linux distro.

I have a lousy intel winmodem on two computers and they are very inefficient besides being
made to work on windows alone anyhow. This is why I purchased and use an external modem. There are drivers that you can dl from intel for
this but for a beginner like yourself I would do the above. Hope this helps.

pgk