PDA

View Full Version : Using Knoppix to Recover Windows 98

raven
07-15-2004, 07:23 PM
Hi all, is it possible to run Knoppix 3.4 from the CD to fix a corrupt FAT32 partition?

Here's basically what happened:

I dual-booted my Windows 98 system to run 98 and SuSE 9.1, but after a lil' bit, 98 stopped booting when I selected to boot it. It'd say "Please enter the path to the command script (eg: C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND.COM)", and when I'd do that, it'd still not work.

So, now I can only run SuSE successfully. I only have a recovery CD for 98, no floppy (plus, my floppy drive is screwy).

Here's the specs that I know of for the computer:

HP Pavilion 6545C
63 Megs of usable RAM
12 Gig HD (6 Gig for 98, 7 for SuSE and the swap)

*My Windows 98 format is FAT32*

Knoppix can run on the computer, because I've done it before.

bongski55
07-18-2004, 11:00 AM
I think you have to reinstall win98. Create a linux boot disk from suse first and after reinstall of win98,boot using the linux disk and run lilo(or grub).

raven
07-18-2004, 04:13 PM
I think you have to reinstall win98. Create a linux boot disk from suse first and after reinstall of win98,boot using the linux disk and run lilo(or grub).

I got it all fixed up a couple of days ago though (I've been fixing it up some).

bongski55
07-21-2004, 10:32 PM
I don't think you can use one OS to repair another corrupted OS especially windows.Perhaps if you were able to do otherwise you would be kind enough to post the steps here?

raven
07-23-2004, 09:56 PM
Here's what I did:

1. Delete all the partitions (they were all way to small; 400-500 megs each)
2. Create a primary dos partition
3. Restarted w/ my Windows 98 Recovery CD
4. Got to the command line
5. cd'ed til I got to c:\windows\*folder* (i forgot what the folder was called)
6. typed in: fdisk /status (to test if fdisk was there)
7. then i typed: format c (to completely reformat my c drive)
8. restarted w/ my cd in the drive still, and re-installed 98
9. got to the command line again (before windows loaded)
10. typed fdisk /mbr (i did this since my bootloading was screwed up)

and it was fixed. to find the *folder* in step 5, just cd to the main drive (c, d, or whatever), and type fdisk /status, if that doesn't work, just cd x:\windows\, then if that fails, just go through all the folders in windows. (note: x = main drive)