View Full Version : Kurumin 1.2beta

Carlos_E_Morimoto
03-14-2003, 10:21 PM
The iso is available at:
ftp://ftp.ibiblio.org/pub/Linux/Incoming/

(Thanks Ibiblio! :-)

The change-log is available at:
http://www.guiadohardware.net/linux/kurumin/1.2/

Have some new apps, drivers for more softmodems, and more "magic icons" including one to install KDE 3.1. My scripts are under the folder /usr/local/bin/ I think they work whith Knoppix too.

I includded also scripts to use Kurumin as a XDMCP server or client. This is diferent of the Knoppix terminal-server. The clientes don't process anything, just display the images send by the server. Combined with "tamuitolerdo" you can use a P-100 with 16 MB as a terminal, running KDE 3.1, OpenOffice, etc.

I have a loong text about this here:

http://www.guiadohardware.net/livros/linux/07.asp

bhsx
03-15-2003, 07:16 PM
Although I didn't understand the page completely, it looks like you're doing some great work. I saw that you included support for PCTel softmodems. That's awesome. I was wondering when you're planning on moving to kde3.1 (i saw that you can install it), and if you could lend your talents to including LUFS http://lufs.sf.net which is a kernel module for mounting remote servers, such as ssh/scp as a locol "sshFS"? It's a little bit out of my league; but you are becoming quite a master. Also, I'm one of those people that has had a lot of problems getting your remasters to work in English, any work to fix that?

Carlos_E_Morimoto
03-17-2003, 01:43 AM
I'm fixing app by app, configuring and translating to Portuguese :-) Its a kind of monk work, you need some patience. But its interesting because you can learn a lot about Knoppix and Debian in General.

Thanks for the link, its really so much interesting ;-)

aay
03-17-2003, 05:26 AM
Carlos,

I really think your work on Kurumin is fantastic. The only think keeping me from making more use of it is the language issue. (That's not a complaint by the way).

One question. Do you include decss on your cd so mplayer can watch dvds? If so, is it possible to eject your cd and insert a dvd after mplayer has loaded? I recently found another live cd that lets you do this, but it does not have as many apps as Kurumin.

Take care.

Carlos_E_Morimoto
03-17-2003, 06:49 AM
No, I includded only libdvdread, you can watch some DVDs but not the encripted ones. The focus is Divx and others video formats. At present time they are much, much more important than DVD :-)

MichielioZ
03-19-2003, 02:27 PM
Sorry for asking, as I know this distribution is being made for the South America community, but isn't it possible to make an English version of Kurumin ??
You say it was monks work to translate, but maybe this means you allready got the English version of all the apps (incl. KDE) ?
Thanx for replying and I understand that if the above is not true you will not make the English version, but don't blame me for trying ;)

Carlos_E_Morimoto
03-20-2003, 09:46 AM
As I said, you just need to change the language settings, about 90% of the system will be in english. But I don plan to develop a 100% pure English version. Much work to translate to Portuguese :-)

freeballer
03-20-2003, 07:53 PM
As i understand it most if not all of the non-english parts of the OS is in KDE itself, what file(s) would have to be changed to keep the english?
Is the translation done through /etc/skel/, through the knoppix config files (knoppix.sh, myconfig.tgz), deleting the kde-i18n-* package, or another configuration file?
Anybody who can help, I'd welcome it. I would rather have this done permanently through a config file of some kind instead of having to re-enable it everytime.

true1ever
03-20-2003, 08:04 PM
I have tried downloading the 1.2beta and also 1.1 release and burned both of them but when I try to start the computer with the cd it says "boot failed"... I am able to boot with other cd's I made just fine, knoppix, morphix, etc.... any ideas? I have used Nero to burn it as an ISO image just like knoppix, etc...

Carlos_E_Morimoto
03-21-2003, 05:18 AM
Maybe your ISO was corrupted. Did you checked the md5sum before burn the CD?