PDA

View Full Version : Captive-NTFS just disappears when I try to use it.

OldPueblo
07-15-2004, 09:42 PM
It starts scanning and next thing I know its gone. Running it again looks like its just starting over from scratch. I'm trying to get my NTFS safely writeable. I'm also a knoppix-noo,b so go easy on me. :)

pau1knopp
07-16-2004, 02:01 PM
Same issue for me...

My details are that I am running Knoppix 3.4_05.17.04

Actually, I have never been able to get this working on my Windows 2000 pc. It never finds the files on my NTFS partition, or in a directory on an ext2 partion, or even if I copy them into /var/lib/captive as suggested.

Does anyone have this running or have some pointers?

~pau1

OldPueblo
07-16-2004, 04:19 PM
My brother has the same issue. Here's what I ended up doing. Copied them to a flash drive from my other computer and then dropped them on the desktop on my laptop. I then skipped the search and did the second browse option. It found them and appeared to have accepted and loaded them. I then used the console commands to mount the drive that I found elsewhere in this forum (mount -t captive-ntfs /dev/hdX /mnt/hdX) and it appeared to have mounted the drive with the captive-ntfs driver. My problem now is though is I get access denied errors and I'm not sure if its because it still isn't loaded right or if its an NTFS permissions error. This laptop is a work laptop and though I am a local administrator on it, we have the file system locked down so that the only place our users can save is the server folder. Does the captive-ntfs driver respect NTFS permissions?

joehtg
08-20-2004, 02:02 PM
Try to copy ntfs.sys and ntoskrnl.exe from Windows XP into /var/lib/captive.
The drivers from Windows 2000 cause problems, see

http://www.jankratochvil.net/pipermail/captive-list/2004-April/000341.html

When I was trying to mount NTFS with the drivers from Windows 2000 (Knoppix 3.4 c't Edition), I got the following message.

Captive[1942]: sandbox: FATAL: file signal.c: line 203 (sigaction_SIGSEGV): assertion failed: (reg_eip_aligned!=NULL)

After copying ntfs.sys and ntoskrnl.exe from a Windows XP installation, the message was gone.

giacomix
10-09-2004, 05:44 PM
Try to copy ntfs.sys and ntoskrnl.exe from Windows XP into /var/lib/captive.
The drivers from Windows 2000 cause problems, see

http://www.jankratochvil.net/pipermail/captive-list/2004-April/000341.html

When I was trying to mount NTFS with the drivers from Windows 2000 (Knoppix 3.4 c't Edition), I got the following message.

Captive[1942]: sandbox: FATAL: file signal.c: line 203 (sigaction_SIGSEGV): assertion failed: (reg_eip_aligned!=NULL)

After copying ntfs.sys and ntoskrnl.exe from a Windows XP installation, the message was gone.

I had troubles mounting NTFS-captive as well. I copied the essential drivers myself, but still I got some error message "disc is dirty etc. etc."