PDA

View Full Version : questions on install to usb disk

halo
07-16-2004, 01:47 PM
All,

I'd like to install knoppix onto an usb disk so that I can boot from the usb disk on any PC box.
Now my method is to copy /boot directory and KNOPPIX/KNOPPIX onto the disk, and then boot it with GRUB.
But I think it is better to install knoppix into usb disk, so I could add more packages, save my configuration and other customization. I have not hd-install knoppix before.
I want to Can hd-install knoppix automatically check hardware and config as the CD version?
Any suggestions?

Regards,

Gozar
07-18-2004, 10:16 PM
I have not done trhis myself, but it should worlk fine, as long as there are no scsi devices pluged to the computer. Also the computer that you want it to run on, has to support boot from usb device.

The reason that scsi devices might be a problem is that usb storage devices registers as scsi device.

An example.
You install knoppix on your usb device (sda)
You now move the usb device to another computer useing scsi harddisks.
You boot up and gets a kernel panic. Cant find rootfs
Dhis is because the scsi harddisks gets sda and your usb harddisk is now sdb

However i have never tryed so i'm guessing here.

To install knoppix with hardware detection just run:
sudo knoppix-installer
and select knoppix in the installetion options.

j.drake
07-19-2004, 03:53 PM
I recently asked this question (within the last month) and got some great replies that I have not yet had an opportunity to try out. I will try to find the thread and edit this post to include the link, but if you're impatient or if I forget, you can do a search. I know that eco2geek and a kind fellow named Gilles helped me out, and it was within the last month or so.

Ah, yes, here it is: http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=53163#53163

jd

halo
07-20-2004, 07:45 AM
The reason that scsi devices might be a problem is that usb storage devices registers as scsi device.

An example.
You install knoppix on your usb device (sda)
You now move the usb device to another computer useing scsi harddisks.
You boot up and gets a kernel panic. Cant find rootfs
Dhis is because the scsi harddisks gets sda and your usb harddisk is now sdb

I think that's not a big problem if using grub. Because grub could specify the device at boot time.

halo
07-20-2004, 08:01 AM
I recently asked this question (within the last month) and got some great replies that I have not yet had an opportunity to try out. I will try to find the thread and edit this post to include the link, but if you're impatient or if I forget, you can do a search. I know that eco2geek and a kind fellow named Gilles helped me out, and it was within the last month or so.

Ah, yes, here it is: http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=53163#53163

jd
thanks,

I guess my idea is somewhat different with yours. What I want is to boot from USB disk in which a real linux (knoppix) is installed. not from the ISO image or the KNOPPIX loopback file.
Currently I have successfully booted from loopback file in USB disk with GRUB.
Anyway, I will try to do "sudo knoppix-installer" as Gazar suggested to install a real knoppix into the USB disk, and see if it can fulfil my requirements.

halo
07-27-2004, 10:00 AM
I had done hdd-install with 'knoppix' as option. However, I can't boot it from usb disk while the kernel tell me can't find root fs.
I have installed it onto /dev/sda1. Any my grub.conf is like:
root (hd0,0)
kernel /boot/vmlinuz root=/dev/sda1 lang=en
initrd /boot/initrd.img

In the boot process, the kernel complained that the root fs can't be found. then kernel panic.

I guess it is because the usb device has not been detected before kernel want to mount root fs.

Any solutions?

Regards,

halo
07-28-2004, 03:27 AM
After using modified minirt24.gz in knoppix CD as the initrd, I could boot the hdd-install from a USB disk successfully.
The point is to load usb-related module into kernel during the initrd stage.

johnqgalt
08-19-2004, 08:19 AM
After using modified minirt24.gz in knoppix CD as the initrd, I could boot the hdd-install from a USB disk successfully.
The point is to load usb-related module into kernel during the initrd stage.

Halo,

Could you please clearly explain how to install Knoppix to a USB disk?

halo
08-31-2004, 03:36 AM
Halo,

Could you please clearly explain how to install Knoppix to a USB disk?

1. First, your computer can boot from usb driver
2. The knoppix I used is 3.4.
3. Install grub into your usb driver, please refer http://www-106.ibm.com/developerworks/linux/library/l-fireboot.html?ca=dgr-lnxw09FireBoot or http://www.freewebs.com/tsj/bootingUSB_ldp_v0.1.htm
4. Install knoppix into USB driver with options "knoppix", I didn't try other options, may work also.
5. Copy minird24.gz in knoppix cd and uncompress to a temprory dir, then mount to a loop directory.
For example, mount -oloop minird24 /minird,
Then modify /minird/linuxrc to remove some unnecessary tasks. Dont remove those lines load usb related kernel modules.
Umount /minird and then copy minird24 to /boot directory
I didn't try 2.6 kernel, maybe work too.
6. Modify grub menu to point to kernel images and initrd.
For example,
root (hd0,0)
kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.4.26 root=/dev/hda1 vga=0x317 lang=en
initrd /boot/minird24
Note:
There is one minor problem for me, each time when I boot, the XFree86 config file doesn't update automatically. I have to remove it manual and reboot.

johnqgalt
09-05-2004, 07:00 PM
Thank you for the reply, Halo. This guide also proved helpful:

Boot KNOPPIX from an USB Memory Stick
http://rz-obrian.rz.uni-karlsruhe.de/knoppix-usb/