PDA

View Full Version : Video Resolution to small how to make it bigger?

goudiemark
07-16-2004, 06:26 PM
after i ran knoppix-installer im only allowed to selected 640x480 in debian now and a savage video card is detected during boot.

What do i need to do so that i can get higher resolutions?

mzilikazi
07-18-2004, 08:00 PM
Surely there is some tool in that massive Kcontrol thing for adjusting the resolution. Otherwise you can do it like a real Linux geek and edit /etc/X11/XF86Config-4. If your resolution was fine when booted to cd you can also copy the XF86Config-4 from cd to your hdd install.

m_yates
07-19-2004, 01:31 PM
If you know the specifications of your hardware (video card model and memory and monitor refresh rates), you can run the command "xf86config" to get things set up properly. First, back up your current configuration:
mv /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 /etc/X11/XF86Config-4.oldThen start "xf86config" There is a step by step guide here: http://www.bitbenderforums.com/vb22/showthread.php?postid=313121 I know the guide says Slackware, but it works the same in Debian/Knoppix. I would suggest trying the generic vesa video driver first when you come to that option. Just make sure that you have the correct refresh rates and resolutions set up. If xfree86 thinks the monitor can't support higher resolutions, it will not let you switch to those, and obviously it won't let you switch to higher resolutions if there are none there. Good Luck!

shah
07-19-2004, 03:40 PM
You also can use root shell command:
kxconfig

goudiemark
07-19-2004, 07:03 PM
Thank you so much the kxconfig worked. Ive been messing with everything else all day and it wouldnt work... Thanks agian

voldemort
07-19-2004, 10:06 PM
krandtray (under menu as

system
|
Screen Resize and Rotate

its a kicker applet that allows you to adjust video settings on the fly

if you want it to auto start

go to

home
|
(your user name)
|
.kde
|
Autostart
in this folder place a link to application (right click option ) under command use krandrtray

next time you log in to kde it will auto start