PDA

View Full Version : mouse lost after apt-get upgrade

ool
03-14-2003, 11:55 PM
When I upgrade I loose control over my mouse. The pointer is there, but Sometimes refuses at all, sometimes freaks out.
I tried to xf86config to setup new XF86Config-4 but this didn't help.
What should I do? Please help

RockMumbles
03-16-2003, 04:22 AM
When you did the upgrade did you let debconf take over setting up your XF86Config file?

If you did allow debconf to setup your XF86Config-4 file debconf probably goofed up your XF86Config-4 file. So take a look in /etc/X11 for a file named XF86Config-4.debconf-backup, then rename your existing XF86Config-4 file to something like XF86Config-4-bad (just in case things get even worse) and then copy XF86Config-4.debconf-backup to XF86Config-4. Then restart X and see if everything is OK, if it is fine. If not then what I would do is boot to your knoppix cd, make sure to use all of the necessary boot options to get your system where you need it, mount your hard drive knoppix partition rename your existing XF86Config-4 file and then copy the Knoppix created XF86Config-4 file into /etc/X11 on your hd.

HTH

rock

ool
03-28-2003, 09:53 AM
I tried but no help. actually I have this same problem with woody too. I do upgrade and then I loose mouse. I have Nvidia GeForce2. Is this the problem?

Fabianx
03-28-2003, 09:39 PM
apt-get upgrade sets up gpm for mouse support on console. Did you have a mouse on console before ? I think no ...

gpm allows sharing, however for PS/2 Mice this does not work and so it comes to this problems ...

Just stop it ...

/etc/init.d/gpm stop

See if its helps! Mouse should be usable again ...

Then to be safe deinstall it ...

apt-get remove gpm

cu

Fabian

PS: Solved this problem at a friends house yesterday, so I know that this IS (or could be) a solution :-))

aay
03-28-2003, 10:00 PM
I actually had this same problem yesterday. After doing an apt-get upgrade I didn't pay attention to some of the install messages and selected "yes" instead of "no" when asked about changing configs.

For me the answer turned out to be simpler than you might imagine. I shut down the comupter and removed the mouse. I rebooted and ran X. Then I shut down again and reinserted the mouse. When I rebooted the mouse worked fine.

If this doesn't work, you may also want to try running mouseconfig from the commandline.

Hope this helps.

grimborg
04-02-2003, 01:59 PM
Hi,

Same happened to me. Well, sort of. After upgrading, my ps/2 mouse began moving erratically. It looked like it was using the wrong protocol, but according to XF86Config-4 IMPS/2 is the protocol being used (and the right one, for it was the one I was using before the upgrade)

The solution (i know it's not a grrrreat one though) was plugging the mouse to the usb port through an adaptor. I changed the XF86Config-4 file accordingly and I've had no more problems since.

Well, I hope this to be useful to you (though I doubt it... ;) )

Ganbatte kudasai

Stephen
04-03-2003, 02:59 AM
apt-get upgrade sets up gpm for mouse support on console. Did you have a mouse on console before ? I think no ...

gpm allows sharing, however for PS/2 Mice this does not work and so it comes to this problems ...

Just stop it ...

/etc/init.d/gpm stop

See if its helps! Mouse should be usable again ...

Then to be safe deinstall it ...

apt-get remove gpm

cu

Fabian

PS: Solved this problem at a friends house yesterday, so I know that this IS (or could be) a solution :-))

Had this problem also and your solution worked perfectly. :)

RockMumbles
04-04-2003, 07:15 PM
I'm glad I saw this thread earlier, yesterday I upgraded my 3.1 hd install and sure enough it wanted to set up gpm, so I pointed gpm to /dev/null during the configuration.

Thanks,

rock