PDA

View Full Version : many printers broke in knoppix 3.4+?

drews
07-17-2004, 04:02 PM
I think that knoppix 3.4 is missing (and needs) the
CUPS printing drivers and functionality that knoppix
3.3 contained.

I know of no other reason why my standard EPSON
printer works on 3.3 but not on 3.4. On 3.3 (live cD,
no HD), I was able to easily configure and use the
printer after starting the cupsd daemon. 3.4 does not
include the required cups driver. I could not get the
printer working When I tried the foomatic drivers in
3.4, or even when I copied the ppd file from 3.3 to

To support my claim that the drivers are MISSING from
3.4, I see that knoppix 3.3 has 198 cups driver file
(with ppd.gz extension) in
/KNOPPIX/usr/share/cups/model/gimp-print however
knoppix 3.4 only has 16 uncompressed ppd files in
/KNOPPIX/usr/share/cups/model, and no gimp-print
subdirectory containing compressed ppd files.

Does anybody know why those files are missing?

drews
07-30-2004, 05:26 AM
No response yet... anybody's printer working in 3.4 with a cups driver?

knixkw
08-09-2004, 12:16 PM
Hello drews,

I had the same problem with an Epson Stylus Photo 950: gimp-print [recommended] didn't work, but gimp-print-ijs worked fine.

drews
08-09-2004, 06:42 PM
yes I wish I could say the "foomatic + gimpprint IJS" driver works for me but it doesn't.

I'm still hoping to get an answer as to why all those CUPS drivers were removed from an update to knoppix...

Apparently not too many people have printers hooked up to knoppix 3.4, or I'd think we'd hear more complaining...

knulle
08-27-2004, 04:11 PM
Hi !

have the same problem with knoppix 3.5. (linuxtag-DVD installed on HD)
3.3. worked fine

drews
08-27-2004, 07:02 PM
I found the problem - a package called cupsys-driver-gimpprint was installed on knoppix 3.3 but not 3.4 (!). Even though it was on 3.3, it was not listed in the v3.3 packages.txt

www.kanotix.com/files/fix-cups.sh is a script that tells how to fix this on knoppix > 3.3

probono
09-28-2004, 01:25 AM
Can anyone please confirm that this bug is still not fixed in all versions including 3.7 "Professional"? I am desperately trying to get my HP LaserJet 6L to work (there was a driver in all versions of Knoppix until 3.3), but no luck.

Most printer drivers are gone. Help!
Will they come back? Hopefully so...

HomerCube
09-28-2004, 03:54 PM
Can anyone please confirm that this bug is still not fixed in all versions including 3.7 "Professional"? I am desperately trying to get my HP LaserJet 6L to work (there was a driver in all versions of Knoppix until 3.3), but no luck.

Most printer drivers are gone. Help!
Will they come back? Hopefully so...
I join your regrets :cry:, but for an older HP LaserJet 5L. After lots of tries (including download of PPD files from LinuxPrinting.org (http://www.linuxprinting.org/show_printer.cgi?recnum=HP-LaserJet_5L)), I resigned and simply chose to use it connected to another PC with RedHat 9 installed :idea:, where it rocks.
What worries me more is, my printer is going dead, and I'm scared about what I can buy to replace it (finding a strongly Linux-certified laser printer is somehow an enterprise here in Italy :(...).

probono
09-28-2004, 04:28 PM
I tried Kanotix, and indeed it doesn't have the problem, there my printer works like it did in Knoppix 3.3.

Markus
09-28-2004, 04:32 PM
http://www.linuxprinting.org/suggested.html has some recommendations at least concerning brands. I bought a Samsung ML-1750 el cheapo laser and at least on kanotix BH5 it worked right out of the box. Paid a little extra to get a model with PCL6, IBM ProPrinter and Epson printer languages, the cheaper ones had Samsungs own language with which you might get trouble. Although Samsung is one of the manufacturers who make linux drivers.

Nadrach
09-28-2004, 09:33 PM
I put a query somewhere in the forum last week regarding my Epson C70 on Kx3.6, having just changed from 3.3 - can't find it now - no reply anyway - now at least I know what the problem is - whoever put the sticky bit on this thread, thank you - It did not come back on a query on printer problems, last week.

HomerCube
09-29-2004, 08:57 AM
http://www.linuxprinting.org/suggested.html has some recommendations at least concerning brands. I bought a Samsung ML-1750 el cheapo laser and at least on kanotix BH5 it worked right out of the box. Paid a little extra to get a model with PCL6, IBM ProPrinter and Epson printer languages, the cheaper ones had Samsungs own language with which you might get trouble. Although Samsung is one of the manufacturers who make linux drivers.
Yeah, I read that. It's a fact that comments about printers made by users don't always agree with site's suggestions. I'd like to buy a Samsung ML-1750, too, but only if I'm 100% sure it will work, because I know resellers will surely reject to retire that if my only trouble is "it doesn't work with Linux", and they won't give me warranties for it to work before I buy as well, nor they will let me have some tests with a Knoppix CD.

Markus
10-03-2004, 05:14 PM
I'd like to buy a Samsung ML-1750, too, but only if I'm 100% sure it will work, because I know resellers will surely reject to retire that if my only trouble is "it doesn't work with Linux", and they won't give me warranties for it to work before I buy as well, nor they will let me have some tests with a Knoppix CD. I just tested it with Knoppix 3.7 and it worked just fine with ParPort, CUPS and Foomatic/hpijs driver with both 300x300 and 600x600 DPI, IOW the same setup I use with my hd installed Kanotix.
As a sidenote, it doesn't seem to work with the recommended pxlmono driver.

user unknown
10-05-2004, 03:02 AM
probono: can't you install the driver from the 3.3 distro with the 3.6 (or 3.7) distro?

Nic MFP
10-07-2004, 09:24 PM
HI. I am working with Knoppix 3.6, HD install. I installed my printer, an Epson stylus color 670, within CUPS. At this point I got no errors, so I suppose that all is OK. The printer is connected via an USB port.

But when I try to print... NO NOTHING outputs from the printer, even the test page. A message says that the page was printed successfully, but really the printer does nothing - it even does not try to load the sheet :cry:

What I am doing wrong?

user unknown
10-12-2004, 04:40 AM
Nic MFP: Perhaps everything is sitting in a printer-queue, and when set up correctly, you get document over document, months old :)

Is the cups-server running?

ps -C cupsd
If not, start 'em:

cupsd
If yes, go to the web-configuration:

http://localhost:631/

Browse a little...

Nic MFP
10-12-2004, 06:49 PM
Nothing to do: it does not work :cry:

CUPSD is running, as expected. But trying http://localhost:631 gives the following error:

internal error - server connection terminated
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Description: internal error - server connection terminated
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Moreover, there must be something else wrong, because if I try to launch any Epson tool (like the head cleaning job, the ink level meter, and so on) I get the following error message:

The executable escputil was not found in your PATH.
Make sure that gimp-print is correctly installed and that escputil is in your PATH

By the way, while reinstalling for the n-th time the printer, I tried out all of the available drivers. No one works, but one of them, only one, if I press the "Test driver" button, makes the printer to load and immediately eject a sheet. The printer still does not attempt to print anything.

And that's all, because if I choose the "Test printer" command, even with this driver, no nothing happens.

Any other ideas?

Markus
10-12-2004, 07:01 PM
Have you installed cupsys-driver-gimpprint, cupsys-driver-gimpprint-data, ijsgimpprint and libgimpprint1?

Nic MFP
10-12-2004, 07:06 PM
I suppose yes, because I performed a normal Knoppix HD install.

Markus
10-12-2004, 07:17 PM
Well, you can check with: COLUMNS=150 dpkg -l|grep gimpprint
If they're not installed do:
dselect update
apt-get install cupsys-driver-gimpprint cupsys-driver-gimpprint-data ijsgimpprint libgimpprint1 -s (remove -s for simulation if it looks ok)

Nic MFP
10-12-2004, 07:56 PM
It seems to be installed:

ii ijsgimpprint 4.2.7-2 Inkjet Server - Ghostscript driver for Gimp-
ii libgimpprint1 4.2.7-2 The Gimp-Print printer driver library

Unless something other is missing, or badly installed...

Markus
10-12-2004, 08:17 PM
What about the cupsys-driver files for gimpprint?
This is what I get grepping for print on kanotix:

markus@fujibox:~$ COLUMNS=140 dpkg -l|grep print
ii cupsomatic-ppd 20040506-1 linuxprinting.org printer support - transition package
ii cupsys-driver-gimpprint 4.2.7-2 Gimp-Print printer drivers for CUPS
ii cupsys-driver-gimpprint-data 4.2.7-2 Gimp-Print printer drivers for CUPS
ii docbook-dsssl 1.78-4 modular DocBook DSSSL stylesheets, for print and HTML
ii foomatic-bin 3.0.1-20040506-1 linuxprinting.org printer support - transition package
ii foomatic-db 20040705-1 linuxprinting.org printer support - database
ii foomatic-db-engine 3.0.1-20040506-1 linuxprinting.org printer support - programs
ii foomatic-db-gimp-print 4.2.7-2 linuxprinting.org printer support - database for Gimp-Print printer driver
ii foomatic-db-hpijs 1.5-20040621-1 linuxprinting.org printer support - database for HPIJS printers
ii foomatic-filters 3.0.1-20040621-4 linuxprinting.org printer support - filters
ii foomatic-filters-ppds 20040506-1 linuxprinting.org printer support - prebuilt PPD files
ii ijsgimpprint 4.2.7-2 Inkjet Server - Ghostscript driver for Gimp-Print
ii kdeprint 3.3.0-1 KDE Print
ii libgnomeprint-bin 0.37-5 The GNOME Print architecture - binary files
ii libgnomeprint-data 0.37-5 The GNOME Print architecture - data files
ii libgnomeprint15 0.37-5 The GNOME Print architecture - runtime library
ii libxp-dev 4.3.0.dfsg.1-7 X Window System printing extension library development files
ii libxp6 4.3.0.dfsg.1-7 X Window System printing extension library
ii xprt 4.3.0.dfsg.1-7 X print server (XFree86 version)
ii xprt-common 0.0.9.final.001-5 Xprint - the X11 print system (configuration files)
ii xprt-xprintorg 0.0.9.final.001-5 Xprint - the X11 print system from xprint.org (binary)

Nic MFP
10-12-2004, 09:58 PM
Mumble... it seems more than something is missing! :(

Here it is what I got:

root@Torquato:/home/gianfri# dpkg -l|grep print
ii foomatic-bin 3.0.1-20040506 linuxprinting.org printer support - transiti
ii foomatic-db 20040705-1 linuxprinting.org printer support - database
ii foomatic-db-en 3.0.1-20040506 linuxprinting.org printer support - programs
ii foomatic-db-gi 4.2.7-2 linuxprinting.org printer support - database
ii foomatic-db-hp 1.5-20040621-1 linuxprinting.org printer support - database
ii foomatic-filte 3.0.1-20040621 linuxprinting.org printer support - filters
ii ijsgimpprint 4.2.7-2 Inkjet Server - Ghostscript driver for Gimp-
ii kdeprint 3.2.3-1 KDE Print
ii libwine-print 0.0.20040615-1 Windows Emulator (Printing Module)
ii libxp-dev 4.3.0.dfsg.1-6 X Window System printing extension library d
ii libxp6 4.3.0.dfsg.1-6 X Window System printing extension library
ii mpage 2.5.3-1 print multiple pages per sheet on PostScript
ii pdf-printercon 0.1-1 sets up and pdf printer service
ii print-utils-pf 0.1-1 provides various print utils
ii samba 3.0.5-1 a LanManager-like file and printer server fo
ii smbconf-pfeifl 0.5-4 Kurt's smb.conf for native printing support
ii wprint 2.04-1 Print any charset from web browsers and Html

Markus
10-12-2004, 10:03 PM
I haven't done any cleaning up on printer drivers, so you probably don't need them all, but try getting cupsys-driver-gimpprint and cupsys-driver-gimpprint-data

Nic MFP
10-14-2004, 09:15 PM
I really don't know what to think. :cry:

I tried your advise, but it seems there is nothing to do: it still does not prints.
I tried even connecting the printer via the parallel port (just another try...) but - obviously - it wasn't useful. Of course, the printer is fully functional, as I dual boot with windows, and in windows I can print.

I tried to inspect the printing queue; there are only the test print jobs, spooled and terminated, not pending. Well, looking at the IPP log I can see, on the last row:

"job-state-reason: aborted-by-system"

but why??

Markus
10-15-2004, 10:36 PM
Sorry, but can't think of much to try anymore as I don't actually run knoppix.
According to http://www.linuxprinting.org/show_printer.cgi?recnum=Epson-Stylus_Color_670 it should work just fine.
You could still try apt-getting foomatic-db-hpijs and foomatic-filters-ppds and checking if the foomatic driver would work as mentioned in the link.

Nic MFP
10-17-2004, 05:42 PM
Well, thank you very much, indeed. I learned a lot from your advises, and I'll try to search in the site you reported. By the way, i'll never give up trying... there MUST be a way to get my printer working.

Again, thank you.

Nadrach
10-18-2004, 10:30 AM
By the way, i'll never give up trying... there MUST be a way to get my printer working.

Printers are badly broken in 3.4 & 3.6. Like you I did an HD install from Knoppix 3.6. Then reverted to 3.3 when I could not get the printer to work. I downloaded the "fix-cups.sh" script referred to earlier in this thread and tried again. The script is a simple remove and re-install cupsys, but with the emphasis on gimpprint driver on the reinstall. It removed the broken cupsys OK, but failed on the re-install because I needed to run "apt-get update" first (took about 45 mins on a dial-up). I then ran the re-install scriptline manually (by the way, this is all as "root") in a terminal window (about 12 mins on a dial-up). As it progressed, it recommended some other packages, and I went back afterwards and installed the "gimpprint-docs" and "gimpprint-locales" as well. My Epson C70 has now installed perfectly using the gimpprint driver (it has a suffix which I think is 4.2.7 [I'm not on that machine at the moment]).

Basically you have to remove the cupsys that loads from 3.6 and replace it with the latest package from Debian, not just upgrade it.

As an aside, I'm a fan of the KDE twin-panel file manager Krusader, that does not come with Knoppix. Having seen the ease with which "apt-get" installed this, after reloading cupsys, I am now a convert to Debian (from SuSE) and am busily converting others to Knoppix. The niggles like broken printers are a pain, but the ease of install and the wealth of open-source software that comes with it has prompted some incredulous "it can't be that easy" responses. Roll on Knoppix64!

Nic MFP
10-18-2004, 10:22 PM
:D :D YES!! IT WORKS!! :D :D

You're great! Finally I did it and now I am looking at my first printed page in linux... by a strange combination now my stereo is playing the 5th movimento of Beethoven's IX symphony. 8)

There is only a thing I didn't understand. I configured the printer via the GUI but it didn'work. Then, I tried reconfiguring it via the HTML interface (now it works, too!), and :idea: the printer started doing its job.

Thank you and all others who tried to help me.

A. Jorge Garcia
11-14-2004, 05:18 AM
Anyone have luck printing from KNOPPIX 3.6 2004.0816 to an HP Color LaserJet 3500?

TIA,
AJG

marshalx
12-05-2004, 09:28 AM
is mr.Knoppix looking at this problem ?

seems a lot of people reporting loss of CUPS
and all my "backends" unselectable.

also any trouble known with ABIT kv8pro ?
cant get thru the onboard ether,
even tho that *does* work with winXP.

thanks for any help :)

whats4lunch
01-10-2005, 06:51 AM
So what finally fixed the problem?

whats4lunch
01-12-2005, 06:59 AM
I got an Epson C62 to work with Knoppix 3.7
I used the configure printer app from the knoppix menu.
You have to make sure to use the IJS version of the driver.