PDA

View Full Version : Knoppix 3.5 Linuxtag DVD edition

Snow
07-18-2004, 03:56 AM
What is the word on the new Knoppix 3.5?
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This taken from the Knoppix Web Sight.
-=> KNOPPIX NEWS <=-
Announcing KNOPPIX 3.5 LinuxTag 2004 DVD Edition

LinuxTag 2004 is the leading conference and expo about Linux and Free Software in Europe, and takes place in Messe- und Kongresszentrum Karlsruhe/Germany from 23.-26. June. LinuxTag e.V. is producing, exclusively for this event, a maxi edition of KNOPPIX as conference DVD.
Features of the LinuxTag 2004 edition:

* Over 5 GB of live Software from the Debian distribution, running directly from DVD,
* updated hardware autodetection (based on kernel 2.4.26 and 2.6.6 with ACPI),
* m23 software distribution system as boot option,
* talk papers from the free conference program of LinuxTag 2004, lots of LinuxTag-featured software, online books & videos.

The KNOPPIX 3.5 LinuxTag DVD Edition ist only available at the entrance of LinuxTag within a kit containing the LinuxTag 2004 collector's pin and an entry ticket for the free conference and exhibition. The kit can be obtained for a fee of 10,- EUR (including funding of the free project booths), as long as supply lasts.

eco2geek
07-18-2004, 05:21 AM
You can apparently buy a version 3.5 DVD from iso-top.info (http://iso-top.info/index.php?sid=3a62de55ef3edd2bb93f4c39dd45323a&cl=details&cnid=8df3ee5c639311315.71090978&anid=7b6403b4f9592cb39.09472273) (dunno if it's exactly the same thing).

And in this thread (http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=9250), Fabian helps out us non-German-speakers by telling us how to use the site.

rcook
07-19-2004, 04:23 PM
Anybody tried this out to see if it is the same?

Cuddles
07-22-2004, 02:26 PM
O M G :!:

A new version ! Sheesh, I just got done "finally" getting the v3.4, kernel 2.6.6, going on my system, now a new version !

Hey Eco2Geek -=- you want ten more CD-Rs ??? [giggle] :lol: :shock:

I wonder if they are ever going to do one of those "expo's" in the states? -=- I'm pretty sure one wouldn't be, like, in Wisconsin... ( nothing worse than a "cheese-head" geek ) -=- but, it would be nice to go to a expo on Linux... Last expo I went to was a "Comi-Con", in San Diego, CA... and the time before that, was a "trekkie" convention... Was fun, true a lot of people, at that time, came dressed as "Star Trek" Next Generation characters... ( wonder if people at a "Linux" Expo come dressed as Tux ?????? -=- LOL

Anyone go to this Expo ( the "LinuxTag" one that is... ) ?
( just wondering )
Ms. Cuddles

eco2geek
07-23-2004, 02:48 AM
I just splurged and ordered the DVD from iso-top...and am seriously considering splurging more and getting myself a DVD burner (there's a Lite-On on sale for $80 at Costco)...so we'll see! :wink:

One would think the license isn't totally open source, or someone would have posted a torrent already.

champagnemojo
07-23-2004, 07:54 PM
O M G :!:

A new version ! Sheesh, I just got done "finally" getting the v3.4, kernel 2.6.6, going on my system, now a new version !

I think this is really just a DVD version of 3.4 though. So you're still ok. :D

And eco2geek, you should go for a DVD-burner. They're getting cheap now. I got mine for $50 AR. You can back up a hd-install of knoppix on one disc. :wink:

eco2geek
08-01-2004, 05:16 AM
Now that I've gone and spent perfectly good money on this, here are some screenshots. It's apparently a remaster of the 3.5 DVD from the LinuxTag convention.

http://www.angelfire.com/ultra/eco2geek/images/knoppix-related/knx35dvd-1.png
Boot screen -- since the keyboard layout's German, knowing that "/" = shift-7, "=" = shift-0, and "y" = "z" helps when entering cheatcodes.

http://www.angelfire.com/ultra/eco2geek/images/knoppix-related/knx35dvd-2.png
Cute lil animated penguin (hard to see in this screenshot, sorry) entertains you during hardware detection.

http://www.angelfire.com/ultra/eco2geek/images/knoppix-related/knx35dvd-3.png
The KDE desktop.

http://www.angelfire.com/ultra/eco2geek/images/knoppix-related/knx35dvd-4.png
Lots of software on that "System" menu!

ZedroS
08-04-2004, 06:56 AM
What are the main differences between 3.4 and 3.5 ? Will it be so version on CD ?

A. Jorge Garcia
08-04-2004, 03:49 PM
Isn't 3.5 just like a "kitchen sink" version of 3.4? In other words, the 3.5 DVD has all those apps you wanted to sqeeze into the 3.4 CD but just couldn't?

The 3.4 ISO is about 700MB compressed which transtaltes to over 2GB uncompressed. DVDs hold nearly 5GB, right? So does the DVD include roughly 5GB of uncompressed or compresed apps?

TIA,
AJG

eadz
08-04-2004, 07:06 PM
I ordered the DVD from iso-top, it came on monday but was cracked :( So they are resending the other one. I also ordered the one from lemanns which I think is the official one from LinuxTag. I may try to put at least one of the isos online, but as it will probally be 3G+, I'll have to think about how to do the downloads, probally bittorrent.

nvgringo
08-04-2004, 07:40 PM
You might want to remaster it so that it boots in English. Also there is over a gig of documentation in German, video clips, etc. There is a program called eclipse. Might be able to strip some of this stuff off to get the size down. The actual knoppix program is around 2 gig. The Knoppix/Knoppix file is right at 2 gigs

eco2geek
08-05-2004, 07:28 AM
To give you a rough idea: Knoppix 3.4 installed on the hard drive comes to ~2 GB (I haven't installed much). Knoppix 3.5 running off the DVD comes to ~9 GB.

Apart from the graphics, it looks and feels exactly like 3.4, with tons of extra software.

Anyone know of any license issues that would make putting it up as a torrent a violation of the license? It looks like it's all straight GPL.

A. Jorge Garcia
08-05-2004, 12:17 PM
Wow, 9GB is big! I guess the 3.5 DVD is compressed then as the biggest DVD I've seen is 4.7GB.

Regards,
AJG

j.drake
08-05-2004, 07:05 PM
AJ,

Sony has a new dual-layer burner that tops 8GB, but media is still pretty scarce. Others are coming out with them also. In fact almost all non-burned DVDs are dual layer, with capacities well over 8 GB - it's only the DVD+R and DVD-R which are limited to 4.7. Even then, from a practical standpoint, you really have only between 4.2 and 4.3 GB of the 4.7 available for data, which served as a surprise to me the first time I tried to burn 4.5 GB to a DVD+R.

I'm sure it's compressed, just like the Knoppix CD is, but if Knoppix ever wanted to "publish" this in a dual layer DVD, they could easily double the content again!!

jd

A. Jorge Garcia
08-05-2004, 10:39 PM
I'm sure it's compressed, just like the Knoppix CD is, but if Knoppix ever wanted to "publish" this in a dual layer DVD, they could easily double the content again!!

jd, it just goes to show, you'll never be satisfied! :lol:

Regards,
AJG

sn0wflake
08-07-2004, 04:16 AM
I don't approve the direction Knoppix is heading regarding the size of recent distributions. DVD releases do not live up to my expectation of Knoppix being portable, i.e. can be used on all hardware, even old stuff. Downloading of a DVD is also too painful, even with a multi-megabit connection. When it's finally downloaded you have to burn it and I personally know nobody with a DVD-burner.
It's funny and ironic how Linux users make fun of Windows bloatware and then read the Knoppix forum where 9 GB is just dandy and übercool.
My idea of Knoppix 3.5 was with Linux kernel 2.6.8 only on a single CD. I just hope this DVD release is a mere testbed.

eadz
08-07-2004, 05:47 AM
I don't approve the direction Knoppix is heading regarding the size of recent distributions. DVD releases do not live up to my expectation of Knoppix being portable, i.e. can be used on all hardware, even old stuff. Downloading of a DVD is also too painful, even with a multi-megabit connection. When it's finally downloaded you have to burn it and I personally know nobody with a DVD-burner.
It's funny and ironic how Linux users make fun of Windows bloatware and then read the Knoppix forum where 9 GB is just dandy and übercool.
My idea of Knoppix 3.5 was with Linux kernel 2.6.8 only on a single CD. I just hope this DVD release is a mere testbed.

This is not the "Knoppix 3.5" Release, but a thread about a DVD being handed out at LinuxTag called Knoppix 3.5.. There will be a 3.5 Knoppix CD for sure.

WRT the bloatware, you can't really compare Windows with the Knoppix DVD this way. The DVD contains just about every program anyone would want from sound editors to database and programming tools, whereas windows is just the OS and you have to buy seperatly applications for it.

nvgringo
08-08-2004, 12:23 AM
I am working on a DVD knoppix compilation of my own. Aptly named Bloat :) I ordered the 3.5 dvd with the intention of building on it. I do not see 9 gigs of software. The compressed KNOPPIX file is 2 gig. The compression ratio is about 40%. You do the math. The rest of the DVD is filled up with mostly documentation in German. Don't get me wrong there is a lot of good software on the DVD and I am quite happy with it. It cost $18 dollars and came with another DVD with BDS software.
For me there seems to be a limit of 2 gigs on the compressed KNOPPIX/KNOPPIX file. I dont know why. Once I do get it figured out I am going to put as much software as I possibly can on the DVD. And it will be Bloat and proud of it!

nvgringo
08-08-2004, 12:31 AM
by the way I have an older computer with a 4 gig hard drive. On it I have a version of my Bloat installed as a HD based install. Nearly 5 gigs of software and a 2 gig home directory and a 250 meg swap on a 4 gig hard drive is a nice use of old hardware.

Cuddles
08-08-2004, 05:05 PM
This is not the "Knoppix 3.5" Release, but a thread about a DVD being handed out at LinuxTag called Knoppix 3.5.. There will be a 3.5 Knoppix CD for sure.

WRT the bloatware, you can't really compare Windows with the Knoppix DVD this way. The DVD contains just about every program anyone would want from sound editors to database and programming tools, whereas windows is just the OS and you have to buy seperatly applications for it.

Sounds like the DVD release at LinuxTag Convention is intended to be the "complete" users release for people who just want to pop in the DVD and boot from it only. If it has everything "anyone" would ever want on it, it wouldn't need to support "klik" then - and a person who just wants a bootable CD/DVD OS, would be extrememly happy with everything already included on it. If someone wanted to use this for, lets say, a hard drive install, chances are, they would have a lot of "apt-get remove" 's to do, to get the hard drive install "cleaned up"...

I have to admit though, this "convention" release of Knoppix, is by far, a great tool for introducing people to the "other" OS they can use, and may "sway" some of them away from the Microsoft alternatives, when they can see just how much software comes with the OS already, and free of charge. Just having OpenOffice.Org included with Knoppix, or just a simple "apt-get install", can save a person from spending upwards of $300 on MS's Office Suite... and having the "development" software already included with Knoppix, saves a person from spending, I think its running around $400 plus, to get MS's development software packages; either VB.Net, VB, VC, VJ, etc... ( all of which, does not come "standard" with any MS OS )

I am quite sure the "future" is going to come down to everyone releasing OS's on DVD, since driver manufacturers have already started to release their drivers on CD-ROM, and these programs and drivers only take as little as a few megabyte of the media already. Some "big" programs already are coming out on multiple CD-ROMs, and they may be considering to re-release these on a single DVD, so that it can all be contained on a single DVD instead.

I am sure that "Knoppix" can see where the "future" is going, and that very shortly, every personal computer is going to have at least one DVD device on them, and slowly, these devices are going to be replacing the older technology of just a CD-ROM device. Computer manufacturers are probably going to start building "standard" PC's with a DVD device, and possibly a floppy, and forgo the installing of a CD-ROM, or even a CD-RW device in them. Since the DVD devices can also read CD-ROM's, ( backward compatability ), and support the DVD reading, and writting, of higher storage capacities.

I would guess that advertisements for say, Dell and Gateway, are going to start selling people on systems that come with a DVD, and possibly the "upgrade" option of making that DVD into a DVD writter, instead of the older commercials being centered around a CD-ROM, and the option of upgrading that to a writter....

Knoppix supports a lot of the older systems, and the hardware, but, someday, that is going to have to start to fall-off -=- i.e. Windows doesn't support any system that is running an XT class, or anything that runs as slow as one of those, 4.77 MHz. I don't think anything supports the XT class anymore, and for that matter, the AT class. I think its just "Computer evolution". As newer processors, hardware, speed, and periferals get better, and faster, some of the "older" stuff, falls-off the support "train". As with MS, every new release of Windows adds more constraints on what it requires, and has, dropped support for some of the older systems that still have useful years to go. Most of the "Linux" operating systems have been there to "catch" a lot of this "fall-off" support, and has, probably, gained its popularity on the basis that it still "can" support these systems. But, as with any operating system, it has limitations. Sooner or later, a operating system must start to drop support for older technology, if it is going to keep up with a lot of the newer technology, if it doesn't start "dropping" support for things, it will just become a "bogged down" OS just for the sake of supporting older stuff, and thus, not be able to incorporate newer technology because it has too much baggage from the support of the old.

Just my two schillings worth,
Ms. Cuddles

Eilonwy05
08-09-2004, 01:18 AM
I wonder if they are ever going to do one of those "expo's" in the states? -=- I'm pretty sure one wouldn't be, like, in Wisconsin...

They actually do have a Linux Expo in the US, twice a year... One in San Fransisco every first week of August (I just went, had a blast!) and one in the eastern US early in the year... I'm not sure if it's always in the same place, but next year, February 14-17 in Boston, MA they're having one.

Check out http://www.linuxworldexpo.com for more info and registration -- if you register early enough, the Expo floor is available for free!

Just thought you might want to know.

eadz
08-09-2004, 05:43 AM
I got the iso-top.org CD today, it was remastered by iso-top.org from the Linuxtag dvd. It has 4.8GB of stuff on it ( uncompressed, mounted ) and boots by default in german ( to get it into english type knoppix lang=en but to get the = sign you have to press Shift+0 ).

One shame is the default theme is KDE-hicolor, which is the theme from KDE 2.2.2!

eco2geek
08-10-2004, 10:04 AM
One shame is the default theme is KDE-hicolor, which is the theme from KDE 2.2.2!

At least you can change the Style, Color Scheme, and Window Decorations to Plastik. mmMMMmm, Plastik. (Although Plastik looks really good with the Color Scheme set to Keramik.)

eadz
08-13-2004, 05:56 AM
.torrent for the remaster of the Linuxtag 3.5 DVD from iso-top.org
http://www.knoppix.net/Knoppix-3.5-DVD-remaster.iso.torrent

sn0wflake
08-15-2004, 09:57 PM
Linux kernel 2.6.8.1 is out. Any news on Knoppix 3.5 CD edition?

popuman
08-18-2004, 05:27 AM
repeat after me:

it will be ready when it is ready

OHMMMMMMMMMMMM

:twisted:

chris-uk
08-18-2004, 06:28 AM
1) I think GIMP is missing. Please can I have it back !
2) My son's favourite game is 'castle combat' http://user.cs.tu-berlin.de/~karlb/castle-combat/ . Any chance ?
3) 'Squeak' http://www.squeakland.org/ and its tutorials http://www.squeakland.org/author/etoys.html would be excellent under 'edutainment' or 'development'.
I can recommend the X-windows client version (it works better than the browser plugin version) http://squeakland.org/plugin/installers/ux.html

The DVD is fantastic. Worth the 3 days it took to download the 'torrent' . 4 GB down, 10 GB up !

iso-top
08-28-2004, 02:18 PM
Shit to post office, in addition, we supply replacement.
eadz already one again got;)

Greetings from Germany,
Marlis

qbus
09-03-2004, 01:22 AM
dose the dvd version have the linux skype installed on it? or is there a list of apps that are installed on it somewere... i dont want to download the whole dvd image to find out

kingfish600
09-03-2004, 06:21 AM
I have a copy of the knoppix 3.5 dvd remaster but it will not boot on my pentium 3 pc. I thought it might be corrupt but it works fine on a friends pc. Heres whats it does.....nothing. it just boots to windows. I can run knoppix from cd just fine i have even recorded the regular cd to dvd and it boots but it refuses to boot the remaster dvd. I have updated my bois to the newest version it was last updated in feb 2002. Do you have any ideas how I can get this to work maby a boot cd?

Thankx

iso-top
09-03-2004, 01:23 PM
@ qbus:
please take a look at http://iso-top.info/files/knoppix-36-dvd.txt
Additionally after HD-Install: Lampp 1.4.7 ( german / us ), Webmin with a lot of Modules.

@ kingfish600
Examine, which format can read your drive ?, check your medium:
----> md5
----> crc

Greetings from Germany,
Marlis

kingfish600
09-03-2004, 11:15 PM
I dont think the disc is corrupt I have used it on other pc's and it boots fine it just wont boot on mine. I have a drive that supports dvd + and - R and RW.

I have to admit I have not checked the CRC or MD5 though.

pulsar
09-05-2004, 06:03 PM
http://iso-top.info/

Also heard that a Knoppix 3.7 dvd is coming soon!

iso-top
09-05-2004, 11:29 PM
@kingfish600,
what a kind of copy do you have?
- direct copy or
- install on hdd ---> remaster new iso and burn it ?

please, open the iso ( mount -o loop /mnt/iso a.s.o ,
cd /boot/isolinux
edit the isolinux.cfg and in line 2, set up the TIMEOUT from 300 to 600.
following with mkisofs ......

Any Drives have small problems to find the correct bootsector in 300ms.

Greetings,
Marlis

chris-uk
09-07-2004, 12:22 AM
Is there any reason why the KNOPPIX file on the DVD is 'only' 2GB ? I can think of various items which could usefully fill the remaining space for a 'live' system.
Source for Eclipse and OOo are all very worthy, but it would be OK just to be able to download these on demand. No need to put them on every DVD !

kingfish600
09-07-2004, 01:07 AM
I redownload it from a different source...the fist time I used bit torrent this time I used the news groups and checked for errors with the par2 files. I'll attempt to modify it with mkisofs as you suggest however I have never used mkisofs before i'm currently running xp professional and have alchol 120%, nero, and roxy. I'll do a serch for mkisofs.

Thankx from the US

kingfish600
09-07-2004, 02:36 AM
I'm sorry I misread the I message. I'll have to install to my hard drive and modify the cfg correct?

kingfish600
09-07-2004, 07:59 AM
I modified the cdf and reburnt it but it still dosn't boot it was set to timeout at 900. My dvd drive is a NEC 2500. Any more ideas how to get it to boot? Maby a boot cd?

iso-top
09-22-2004, 01:54 AM
oh yes nec2500 .... :? :shock: :wink:
please take a look at http://users.cybercity.dk/~dsl94233/nec/107v2b5.rar .... its work fine after the upgrade.

greetings,
marlis

chris-uk
09-25-2004, 07:17 PM
Is the 'torrent' still live ? I can't connect to it at present.

lilsirecho
10-07-2004, 02:12 AM
Gents;

If any one of you has the DVD disc operating, I am interested in determining the performance of the DVD TORAM.

I have 3GB of ram available and 2GB of swap and an older DVD disc downloaded from chemnitz (3.4 version cebit 2.1GB)

It does not boot TORAM but does well as disc boot.

I would appreciate a copy of minirt26.gz from the Knoppix 3.5 DVD, the subject of these posts.

If you are willing to e-mail that file I would appreciate a private message confirming. Thanks...

Ray

lilsirecho
10-10-2004, 04:04 AM
Found that if I install SIZE 3000 in the linuxrc script that the DVD remaster will boot toram in 3Gb system ram.

Weird that iso-top-info would issue a 2.1Gb DVD with only 800MB of memory allocation in the toram option.

Loads in under 2 minutes in..... fromhd toram....option.
4.9 GB of cloop file!!!!

lilsirecho
10-11-2004, 03:51 AM
As part of my study of the DVD toram option, I requested and received a copy of minirt26.gz.

The copy however was not in proper format to gunzip as received.

If one of those having the Knoppix3.5DVD would kindly gunzip the minirt26.gz and send the resultant minirt26 file to me by e-mail I would be very appreciative. Even better, mount the minirt26 file and e-mail the linuxrc file!!!

E-mail to n6re@mminternet.com

Thanks.

docbill
10-14-2004, 08:24 PM

I was thinking, Knoppix on DVD. Kewl, I got to download that right away. But then it occured to me it wouldn't boot on my computer, since my BIOS only allows me to have one CDROM drive configured to boot and that is my CD Drive, not my DVD Drive. Then I thought kewl, I could use it on one of my older computers. But then I remembered my older DVD drive can not read +R or -R DVD's. I think you are right, Knoppix is much better on a CDROM. It is one disk that will work in virtually any PC and has all the essiential tools. If I want something larger, I should just go with a Gentoo installation, as at least then I will only need to wait for the downloads once I decide I need them.

Bill

chris-uk
10-17-2004, 11:45 PM
Knoppix on DVD is impressive.

It would be useful to have tools, Morphix-style ( http://www.morphix.org/ ) , to add things to and take things away from a Knoppix image. Downloading a DVD is on the edge of practicality for me; about 18 hours if I get full bandwidth, or 72 hours for the 3.5 'torrent'. So, a script which would acquire the parts with 'rsync' and assemble them would be just what I need.

The tools would also be useful so that I could confirm that a DVD or CD really was what it said it was; Klaus has been wonderful so far, but I have no way of telling that the '3.5' DVD I have is actually what Klaus intended. 'Seems to work for me' is all I know, really.

Is the 2GB 'KNOPPIX' file a real limit, or a temporary artifact ?

I could also do with CD-sized versions, and versions sized for USB storage keys (128 MB, 256 MB, 512 MB, 1024 MB currently) like http://www.flonix.com/. USB key versions can usefully leave some space as 'writeable' storage.

What will we put on 'Blu-Ray' DVDs at 50 GB http://www.blu-ray.com/? And will we get them in the mail ? 180 hours by broadband is a little on the long side.

Chris

lilsirecho
10-27-2004, 07:45 PM
chris-uk;

The 2Gb limit is real for Live DVD..I repeat...LiveDVD with isolinux-based disc burns.

This is due to the legacy of the isolinux system.

Blue laser DVD will not change the isolinux disc burn system. The 2Gb limit still prevails.

anthonylodato
11-05-2004, 03:58 AM
What is the word on the new Knoppix 3.5?
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This taken from the Knoppix Web Sight.
-=> KNOPPIX NEWS <=-
Announcing KNOPPIX 3.5 LinuxTag 2004 DVD Edition

LinuxTag 2004 is the leading conference and expo about Linux and Free Software in Europe, and takes place in Messe- und Kongresszentrum Karlsruhe/Germany from 23.-26. June. LinuxTag e.V. is producing, exclusively for this event, a maxi edition of KNOPPIX as conference DVD.
Features of the LinuxTag 2004 edition:

* Over 5 GB of live Software from the Debian distribution, running directly from DVD,
* updated hardware autodetection (based on kernel 2.4.26 and 2.6.6 with ACPI),
* m23 software distribution system as boot option,
* talk papers from the free conference program of LinuxTag 2004, lots of LinuxTag-featured software, online books & videos.

The KNOPPIX 3.5 LinuxTag DVD Edition ist only available at the entrance of LinuxTag within a kit containing the LinuxTag 2004 collector's pin and an entry ticket for the free conference and exhibition. The kit can be obtained for a fee of 10,- EUR (including funding of the free project booths), as long as supply lasts.

chris-uk
11-26-2004, 11:23 PM
What do we have to do to fix isolinux ? 2GB is so small, when you can get 25GB 'biodegradeable' DVDs, 50GB regular ones, and 100GB dual-layer ones.

(I remember 640K, and 1M, and 16M, and ... )