PDA

View Full Version : running knoppix from a jas disk instead of a CD, possible?

raminolta
03-15-2003, 02:32 AM
Hi,
I am thinking to use a jaz drive to run knoppix which is supposed to be on a jaz disk. Do you think this is automaticly work or some configurations are needed or knoppix has to be run only from a CD. Has any one experienced this?
Best regards, Ramin

god
03-15-2003, 02:39 AM
my guess is that it is possible, as long as the jas drive is above the hard drive in boot order. give it a shot.

zzyzx
03-15-2003, 09:18 AM
If the JAZ is an IDE drive or picked up by bios, I would say yes. If it is 1 gb, you probably can put the iso on it and use knx-persistent home for part of it.

Robert Michel
03-16-2003, 02:39 AM
If it is 1 gb, you probably can put the iso

How to boot an iso?
Only way I found is to mount -o loop the iso and copy the iso-content
to hd. But it this is working, see:
http://www.knoppix.net/docs/index.php/FaqHdBased
Feedback, corrections and addings about this wiki-page are wellcome!
:D
Greetings
rob

raminolta
03-18-2003, 06:12 AM
This is a 2GB scsi jas drive. I am thinking to have knoppix on one disk and carry it around when on trip and boot from it when i need Linux. installing knoppix like a linux distribution on a HD is clearly not a choice as different computers have different hardwares and configuration. This misses the whole point of knoppix. Then using the rest of the disk for storage (like /home)
if i need to save a file until i am back home.
Regards, Ramin

RockMumbles
03-18-2003, 09:32 PM
If possible you will need to partition the disk into 2 partitions and put the iso on the first partition, then you should be able to mount the second partition read/write and save to it. If you just try and use one partition knoppix assumes you are running from a read-only cd media and you will not be able to write to the rest of the disk.

rock