PDA

View Full Version : Network Card NOt Detected

BlackmageIX
07-18-2004, 09:27 PM
Hi,
Sorry for posting this, I know that this type of topic has been posted tons of times but I could use some help. I have a Linksys 802.11b wireless card WPC11-V4 and Knoppix will not detect the card. From reading other posts I've heard that the WPC11-V4 is almost impossible to get to work with Knoppix. If anyone has any tips they can give me to get this card working it would be greatly appreciated. Or, should I just spend the $20 or so to get a WPC-V3 card which I've heard works. Thanks.

tearinghairout
07-24-2004, 11:57 PM
If I were you I would spend the $20 and get the V3.
I have a V3 and a V4.
The V3 is a great card, it just works - first time - every time.

When I got my second laptop I bought another Linksys card, not realizing that they had moved to V4. I have had several goes getting the V4 to work, and a couple of times I even thought that I was getting close, but still to no avail. My V4 is currently sitting at the bottom of a drawer somewhere gathering dust.

Recently I bit the bullet and shelled out ~$AUD95 to get a LevelOne card which uses the Atheros chipset. This works okay, but still doesn't seem to work as well as the Linksys. (Requires a bit more setting up, sometimes need to manually modprobe. Signal strength levels never seem quite so good).

If you know of a source of V3 cards, maybe you should buy a couple and then on-sell them to frustrated Linux users (at a modest profit of course) :lol: