PDA

View Full Version : 3.3 with Custom Kernel and ltmodem built in -- SUCCESS!!

usulix
07-19-2004, 02:46 AM
I just finished my first Knoppix customization and had to make this post first thing when it booted!!!!!!

Compiled a vanilla kernel from Debian source (2.4.25) without SMP so I could load a reliable modem driver for my Lucent [ltmodem]. Still working on the boot splash, but I'm following the info from Fabian on that next....

It wasn't the cloop compile nor the need to compile ash... just a simple lilo problem for my test partition where the compressed image was stored.... it's always the simple stuff... It only took me 75 hours to figure that out :P

Thanks for Everything to Everybody,

G

Cuddles
07-22-2004, 02:12 PM
Sweet usulix,

So, you actually got a LtModem to work perfectly in Knoppix? ( I could get my "old" LtModem to work with v3.3, but only as root, never could figure out why only root, my final solution was to "gut" the system... and go with a hardware modem... )

Kudo's dude... Compiling a kernel isn't all that much fun, never did one until v3.4, with the 2.6.6 kernel, and I did my first source kernel compile to get NVidia video drivers working... It was a little scarry, especially when you compile your first source kernel, all the messages you watch like a hawk...

I like to see those "success" stories / posts, that, and the people who post for the very first time, and the excitement that they have on seeing Knoppix for the very first time stories / posts.

So, usulix, you gonna be a contributor on "custom kernel" source compiles now????

Ms. Cuddles