PDA

View Full Version : Background programs...

xaviers2002
07-19-2004, 03:24 AM
What I have to do to see the background programs?
Thanks

champagnemojo
07-19-2004, 03:29 AM
What do you mean by background programs?

el_supremo
07-19-2004, 03:37 AM
If you just want a list of all processes, including background ones, as superuser type this command in a shell:

ps ax

if you want a whole pile of info use:

ps alx

Best Wishes
Pete

mzilikazi
07-19-2004, 04:53 AM
I like tkps. Not the prettiest thing in the world but it does list all of the running processes in a GUI. If launched as root a very powerful tool (obviously).

champagnemojo
07-19-2004, 06:00 AM
Oh, all the processes running...I gotcha now. :lol: If you're in KDE and you press Ctrl+Alt+Del it will give you a nice gui with all the processes running. It's like tops, but prettier. :wink:

xaviers2002
07-19-2004, 04:10 PM
For mzilikazi:

Could You tell me where the program is?

Thanks.

xaviers2002
07-19-2004, 04:11 PM
For Champagnemojo:

My computer restarts if I go for a CNTR+ALT+DEL!

champagnemojo
07-19-2004, 08:14 PM
Hmm...that's odd, but you can go into your KDE Shortcuts menu and fix that. It's in Regional & Accessibility in the Control Center. It should be the shortcut for Show Taskmanager.

And tops needs to be run in a console...just type tops...it's that easy.

xaviers2002
07-19-2004, 10:05 PM
x Champagnemojo:

I have knoppix 3.4. There is no such thing like "show taskmanager" where You've said.

Could You tell how to open a console? Do You mean root shell?

thanks

champagnemojo
07-19-2004, 10:45 PM
x Champagnemojo:

I have knoppix 3.4. There is no such thing like "show taskmanager" where You've said.

Could You tell how to open a console? Do You mean root shell?

thanks

Go into Control Center...and find Regional & Accessibility. Then click on Keyboard Shortcuts. You're right though, the default for Ctrl+Alt+Del is Logout. I didn't remember that...sorry for telling you wrong there. Ctrl+Esc is the default for Show taskmanager...but I always like to change it to Ctrl+Alt+Del. Choose whichever shortcuts you like for those. The command for the "taskmanager" is kpm. In case you want to run it from a shell prompt within kde.

And yes, by a console I mean a shell prompt. There's a shortcut to Konsole on the kicker. That's a fast way to get to a console within KDE.

mzilikazi
07-19-2004, 11:05 PM
For mzilikazi:

Could You tell me where the program is?

Thanks.

apt-get update && apt-get install tkps

sudo tkps&

champagnemojo
07-20-2004, 01:08 AM

sudo tkps&

I have to confess, I didn't realize that tkps was an actual program...I thought you'd just made a spelling error on tops. :oops:

tkps looks nice though...it looks like kpm...just less flashy.

mzilikazi
07-20-2004, 02:25 AM

sudo tkps&

I have to confess, I didn't realize that tkps was an actual program...I thought you'd just made a spelling error on tops. :oops:

tkps looks nice though...it looks like kpm...just less flashy.

lmao :) Well that sort of mistake is certainly not beyond me......
You're right it is not at all flashy but soooo very functional and doesn't have dependencies. top I do not like so much as it does not show all processes.