PDA

View Full Version : KNOPPIX 3.4 CD remastered w/ Debian unstable, X Server exits

RemasteringNoob
07-19-2004, 03:46 AM
I've just remastered a KNOPPIX 3.4 CD that I had upgraded to the latest unstable packages. When I try to boot from the CD, the X server starts up and I can see the KNOPPIX background but it instantly exits and returns to the shell prompt. When I run startx, the result is the same. The shell prompt shows the error message: "X-Window session terminated with errors. Please check and retry /etc/init.d/xsession start." :?:

RemasteringNoob
07-19-2004, 03:54 AM
I've just remastered a KNOPPIX 3.4 CD that I had upgraded to the latest unstable packages. When I try to boot from the CD, the X server starts up and I can see the KNOPPIX background but it instantly exits and returns to the shell prompt. When I run startx, the result is the same. The shell prompt shows the error message: "X-Window session terminated with errors. Please check and retry /etc/init.d/xsession start." :?:
I mean, I remastered KNOPPIX 3.4 by doing apt-get -t unstable upgrade and dist-upgrade to the KNOPPIX 3.4 source directory. I wanted to get the newest stuff.

kelmo
07-19-2004, 04:51 AM
Sounds like you installed new versions of very important configuration scripts when you did your upgrade ...

CrashedAgain
07-19-2004, 06:19 AM
I mean, I remastered KNOPPIX 3.4 by doing apt-get -t unstable upgrade and dist-upgrade to the KNOPPIX 3.4 source directory. I wanted to get the newest stuff.
kelmo is probably right, you have probably upgraded Knoppix configuration scripts out of existance. Now, what to do about it?

1) Re-install & upgrade more conservatively?
2) Try to figure out which config scripts are causing problems & renew them from the original CD?

Can you boot your remaster while still installed on the CD? ie is it a true HD install? or just a copy to chroot into? If you can boot into it, does it run OK? Maybe you can track down the problem script this way.
I realize this is not much help. Sorry. I've burned myself a couple of times with 'apt-get upgrade' & 'dist-upgrade', now I only upgrade bits & pieces as need arises.

RemasteringNoob
07-19-2004, 01:08 PM
My remaster ISO sits in /dev/hda1/knoppix.iso and I boot knoppix from the CD using: knoppix bootfrom=/dev/hda1/knoppix.iso. I guess I'll have to do #2 above. Some script that startx or xinit calls is causing the X server to go away quickly. When I run the X server by itself (type X :0), it runs and it stays running.

wangji
07-19-2004, 02:12 PM
hi,
do you mean :
"knoppix bootfrom=/dev/hda1/knoppix.iso "
that you can boot as if you had a virtual_cd_reader ?
That sounds interesting ,since I looked around for booting off
a "loopback_file" and never got answer.
Where do you find that ?

mzilikazi
07-19-2004, 08:22 PM

Maybe ~/.xsession-errors will tell you something but ATM I'm not even sure if that file is there or not. :roll:

wangji
07-22-2004, 11:15 AM
My remaster ISO sits in /dev/hda1/knoppix.iso and I boot knoppix from the CD using: knoppix bootfrom=/dev/hda1/knoppix.iso. I guess I'll have to do #2 above. Some script that startx or xinit calls is causing the X server to go away quickly. When I run the X server by itself (type X :0), it runs and it stays running.
hi RemasterinNoob,
I misundertood you (reason : the extension iso ).In fact ,your
"bootfrom=/dev/hda1/knoppix.iso" means your intention is to tell the booting process that your KNOPPIX_image is lying on hdd_hda1.If you read linuxrc (inside miniroot.gz or similar ramdisk_stuff)there is one line
case "$CMDLINE" in *fromhd=/dev/*) DEVICES="$fromhd" ; ;; esac
this means,if your original intention was as stated,you have to put instead-on cmdline
fromhd=/dev/hda1 only to say your image is sitting on hda1
and of course you need to have a directory named KNOPPIX,and containg a big file KNOPPIX

RemasteringNoob
07-23-2004, 04:53 AM
hi,
do you mean :
Where do you find that ?
Yes, I got it from the Cheat Sheet :) .

wangji
07-23-2004, 02:39 PM
hi,
do you mean :
Where do you find that ?
Yes, I got it from the Cheat Sheet :) .
oh,you just miss me,look at my post jul 22 just before yours !

cesman
07-24-2004, 08:34 AM
Has a solution to this been found? I am having this issue on a remaster(from scratch actually)..

cesman
07-27-2004, 02:26 AM
Resolved, thanks to Fabian on the mailing list! Ensure /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc is 755 and add set -x and set +e to /etc/X11/Xsessions.d/45xsession. I add them right on top:

#!/bin/bash
PATH="/sbin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/X11R6/bin:/usr/games:/usr/local/bin:."
export PATH
set -x
set +e

Worked like a charm afterwards!

cesman