PDA

View Full Version : Newbie: Source / Kernel recompiling ?

quantum-x
07-19-2004, 06:58 AM
Hi there. I'm a newbie. I've read a bit, but I'm still coming back to this question.

I'm needing to patch my orinoco drivers so I can get kismet going, but to do that, from what I have read, I need to recompile my kernel.

I've got a HDD install of knoppix going- how / can i download the kernel source so I can then recompile it - or do I even have to do that?

Thanks!

Stephen
07-20-2004, 10:31 AM
Hi there. I'm a newbie. I've read a bit, but I'm still coming back to this question.

I'm needing to patch my orinoco drivers so I can get kismet going, but to do that, from what I have read, I need to recompile my kernel.

I've got a HDD install of knoppix going- how / can i download the kernel source so I can then recompile it - or do I even have to do that?

Thanks!

http://www.osnews.com/story.php?news_id=2949

knoppixusr
07-23-2004, 06:59 PM
Try my detailed but ez howto:

http://www.desktop-linux.net/debkernel.htm

shah
07-24-2004, 02:37 AM
I don't know wether this will work but you can try. The compiling procedure is much similar to compiling kernel to be used by nvidia driver. This is what I copy from naventus:
su
cd /usr/src (you need to start here. I had problems because I started in root)
wget ftp://ftp.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/v2.6/linux-2.6.6.tar.bz2
cp linux-2.6.6.tar.bz2 /usr/src
tar jxvf linux-2.6.6.tar.bz2 (check to see if these files have been put into /usr/src)
rm -f linux
ln -s linux-2.6.6 linux
cp /boot/config-2.6.6 linux/.config
cd linux/include
ln -s asm-i386 asm
cd .. (again, check to see if linux-2.6.6 is in the folder usr)
make oldconfig
patch -p1 <../knoppix-kernel26.patch
patch -p1 <./orinoco.patch (whatever it call)
cd /usr/bin
rm -f gcc (the kernel image was compiled with gcc-2.95 but symlink is to gcc-3.3)
ln -s gcc-2.95 gcc
cd /usr/src
make (this will compile your kernel, will take sometime to finish- on my 2.4 around 1 hour)

Good luck on compiling.