PDA

View Full Version : Knoppix (HD Install) start up then shuts PCMCIA nic on boot.

Praxis
07-19-2004, 07:24 PM
I have completed (now several) HD installs from the Knoppix CD. Nice clean install, but I continue to have this problem with both of my laptops which use a Lucent Orinoco pcmcia wireless NIC card:

When Linux boots, the sequence appears to successfully find the card, configures it, (the LEDS light) and moves on to other tasks - then the card manger tries to restart the PCMCIA slots, runs something "pump" then crashes the card and shuts the PCMCIA slots down. It is almost as if it tries to configure the card twice - the first try works perfect, but the second try hoses it and then shuts it down.

I've learned that if I remove the card during this sequence and plug it in right before the "second" try during the sequence above...it works.

I have looked through some of the /etc/init.d and .conf files and cannot find any entry that would appear to load the pcmcia twice.

Does anyone have a suggestion on how to fix this? Or maybe where I went wrong in installing this?

The details:
Knoppix 3.4 CD (after an HD install), Kernel 2.4
on both a Panasonic CF-37 and CF-72 laptop
Lucent Orinoco pcmcia network cards

Thanks,
Eric