PDA

View Full Version : HD Install no auto network start

jdoe
07-19-2004, 07:43 PM
Hello,

I am really new to Knoppix and Debian distros in general. Maybe this is a really stupid question but is there a way to make the network card to configure itself and have samba start when the OS starts? Is it normal for them to not automatically start if they have already been configured? Each time I start the operating system I have to go through the network card configuration wizard, all the settings are already in the boxes so all I have to do is go through and hit OK, but it is still annoying. Is there a program that allows you to select which services and daemons are started when the operating system starts?

Info:

Wired ethernet network
Knoppix 3.4 HD installed (multiuser)
Dell PowerEdge 2400

Stephen

mzilikazi
07-20-2004, 01:10 AM
What do you do to get networking up and running? Perhaps you can just add something to the end of /etc/init.d/bootmisc.sh. Try booting up then issue pump and see if that gets networking started for you. If so add pump to the end of /etc/init.d/bootmisc.sh.

All services that run on startup are located in /etc/init.d. To have apache run on boot for example do:

update-rc.d apache defaults

To stop a service:

update-rc.d -f apache remove

Note that this does not remove apache but rather the symlinks in the run levels so that apache does not start. There is something in the Kcontrolcenterwhateverthehellitscalled thing for sys-v-init but I thought it rather confusing personally.

jdoe
07-20-2004, 03:08 AM
Thank you for responding,

Right now what I do is run the 'network card configuration' and all the correct values come up already in the textboxes where it asks me for the ip addresses. For samba I open a terminal session and I type in /etc/init.d/samba start and that does what I need. So what would I need to do to make automatically come up?

Is it normal for this to happen, or does everyone else just find a way to deal with it?

Stephen

shah
07-20-2004, 11:36 AM
You need sysV-init editor. Read my post here:
http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=12074&highlight=nvidia
you'll get the idea.

jdoe
07-20-2004, 10:23 PM
Ok, I got the concept. Thank you for showing me that. Now I just have to know one thing, how do I get the network configured and up with that? I got samba to come up, I just need to know what to drag into the box to get it to bring it up.

Thank you,
Stephen

jdoe
07-20-2004, 10:34 PM
Duh,

Sorry about that, networking, how dumb could I be.

Stephen