PDA

View Full Version : Newbie questions

d_jedi
07-19-2004, 08:30 PM
A couple of newbie questions.

1) How can I change the resolution of the screen (and how can I set it to default to 1024x768 when Knoppix starts up)?

2) When I try to play an MP3 file using XMMS, I get no sound (the volume appears to be on, though?) What's wrong?

mzilikazi
07-19-2004, 11:17 PM
Try a cheatcode:

screen=1024x768

Sound....well you can try sudo sndconfig or I *think* there is an option in the Knoppix menu perhaps for soundcard configuration.

What kind of souncard? Are the mixer(s) volumes up? Unmuted?

d_jedi
07-20-2004, 01:55 AM
What is a cheatcode? A command line parameter when you start Knoppix?

The soundcard is a SoundBlaster Live! MP3. The volume appears to be on (although the mute/unmute is unclear in the KDE interface, IMO.. )

One more problem I realized.. the extra mouse button (used in web browsers as a "back" button.. I don't know what the name of it would be) doesn't seem to work. Any ideas?

d_jedi
07-21-2004, 04:57 AM
71 people view this thread.. and I don't get an answer to my questions?
What gives? Could someone please answer my questions?

j.drake
07-21-2004, 03:26 PM
Hey, settle down, Dude. Nobody here owes you anything. A lot of people don't get replies.

You will find that people around here generally try to help if they can. Be aware, though, that there is an expectation that someone, even a new user, will take the time to read the basic documentation. Your question is a very basic one that is easily answerable from very basic materials. Many people don't bother with such questions, specifically to discourage an expectation of spoon feeding. Unfortunately, your last reply didn't help your case. The Knoppix disk contains basic information, including the answer to this question, as does the documentation already on this forum. There is also a search box.

Normally, there is a tab called "docs" at the top of the page of this forum with documentation. With the new skin, I can't find it, so I can understand why you couldn't either. A cheatcode is simply a boot code. When you start from CD, a knoppix splash screen will appear and hesitate for a few seconds. During that time, you can type whatever cheatcodes you want, and one was recommended to you in a prior post. As for the mouse, Knoppix loads basic drivers by default, along with commonly-found linux hardware drivers. The thing to do would be to look for a linux hardware driver for your mouse. Possibly, one of the mouse cheatcodes might help, but I doubt it. Getting the linux driver to work within the context of a liveCD will be somewhat of a challenge. You should probably accept the basic configuration as is for now, until you become more comfortable with the system.

HTH
jd.

Jaster
07-21-2004, 03:32 PM
Okay, let's go step by step:
Yes, cheatcodes are command line parameters when you boot knoppix and are used to avoid hardware problems, set your language, etc,etc. In your case you should type in the boot line:
knoppix screen=1024x768
and then press enter.
For more information about cheatcodes (there are a lot of them!) visit the FAQ section.

About your problems with your soundcard żis it detected in booting process?

J

Jaster
07-21-2004, 03:34 PM
Wow, j.drake was faster!

You can forget my post :cry: