PDA

View Full Version : Knoppix on dvd

mjd
03-15-2003, 05:34 AM
This is going in the other direction of most people but I wanted to try it I haven't added much to it yet just distcc, blender and wings3d.

I burnt the image onto a dvd-rw and booted it on a laptop and everything works fine, now to start adding some big things like my 2 gig Unreal Tournament folder and see what the speed is like.

Anybody else try Knoppix on dvd?

Martin

zzyzx
03-15-2003, 09:20 AM
Sounds like a great idea!!! There are alot of big stuff, flightgear map of the world....

That would be a great iso to put somewhere.

Bill

A. Jorge Garcia
03-15-2003, 03:52 PM
I suggested this to Klauss several months ago and he said it would run too slow!

Regards,

mjd
03-15-2003, 05:21 PM
I will keep adding to it and see what the speed is like so far its okay just a lag as the disk spins up.

I want to put some games like Unreal Tournament Demo but I would need nvidia acceleration and doing a search it doesn't look like its being done.

Any other suggestions for adding to it, big programs that won't fit on a cdrom.

Martin

georgestubbs
03-26-2003, 04:34 AM
I saw your post about Knoppix on DVD and REALLY want to get a clue how you did it. I have the small (80mm) 1.45Gb disks in my drawer and want to be able to get Knoppix onto one of them. I know it won't be as easy as burning a CD, but I am able to burn regular DVD's in WinXP. Any ideas for me? :!:

jtally
03-26-2003, 04:55 AM
Blender! yea baby

mjd
03-26-2003, 05:38 AM
I created the image using the remastering how-to then I burned the image using dvd-decrypter under xp.

Dvd-decrypter is a great free program that will work when Nero won't to the job.

My later attemps using a larger compressed file system failed, I have to do some more testing to see if something got corrupted or if there is a size limit on the compressed file system.

I wonder if its possible to have more than one compressed file system on a disk and mount them seperately.

Martin

ktheking
03-26-2003, 08:56 PM
The bigger the image will get indeed,the slower it will get.
Isn't it possible to create then multiple img files and mount them seperately to accelerate it ?
I think by wisely deviding them (ex. each big game an img file) wouldn't it
accelerate things a little ?
Nevertheless using DVD's I think wouldn't demand a considerable amount of memory (read ramdisk ) extra to load the game.
In case of that extra memory maybe create more then 1 ramdisk ? A part for the system and a part for large gamefiles ?
Or is there maybe a trick on creating extra buffermemory for the DVD player ?
I think we'll have to wait for the new ATA standard.
Greetings,

georgestubbs
03-27-2003, 01:46 AM
It works! I have my Knoppix 3.2 on a 1.45Gb 8cm mini DVD. I couldn't get the DVD-RAM to work with DVD-Decryptor though. Is there a problem with DVD-RAM and DVD-Decryptor. I checked their site and there doesn't seem to be any info about it.

mjd
03-27-2003, 02:46 AM
Cool, I don't know about dvd-ram I have been using dvd-rw's to play with this and they work fine.

Next I want to get the nvidia drivers working so I can try some games on it.

Martin

georgestubbs
03-29-2003, 03:34 AM
ALRIGHT!!! After my early failure with DVD-RAM disks I decided to try my new DVD-Multi Drive with a DVD-RW disk just as someone (mjd) suggested. Obviously it worked because I am running my system off the drive right now. Thanks again to mjd for giving me the information about the software (DVD-Decryptor) and the DVD-RW disks.

Entropy42
04-08-2003, 04:40 AM
ALRIGHT!!! After my early failure with DVD-RAM disks I decided to try my new DVD-Multi Drive with a DVD-RW disk just as someone (mjd) suggested. Obviously it worked because I am running my system off the drive right now. Thanks again to mjd for giving me the information about the software (DVD-Decryptor) and the DVD-RW disks.
So the larger an image is the slower access to the image is???

I'm sure someone will be hacking on cloop to get rid of this issue. :)

Putting a standard Knoppix image onto DVD might speed up access though, as fast DVD-ROMs have a higher transfer rate than recent CD-ROMs. If Nx means the same read speed as it does write speed, than a 4x DVD has the same transfer rate as a 40x CD-ROM (approximately). Most modern DVD drives are 8x or more, and at least the 4X drives are CLV (or CLV-capable. The Pioneer DVR-105 records CLV - It maintains 4x for the entire disc when recording.) You might speed access times since the head doesn't have to seek as much on a smaller medium.

BTW, there are patches to cdrecord that allow DVD recording under Linux. Stay away from the dvdrecord project - Their mkisofs is horribly broken and dvdrecord doesn't work with Pioneer DVR-105s unless using media present in the 105's media table. ($$$). The patch against cdrecord 2.0 that I use is somewhere on www.crashrecovery.org

ghaspias
11-07-2004, 05:02 PM
Don't know much about this matter, but why would you need DVD-Decryptor to copy to a DVD-Ram? I just drag/copy-paste in WindowsXP.

OTOH, I've never managed to get Knoppix to use a DVD-Ram...

It works! I have my Knoppix 3.2 on a 1.45Gb 8cm mini DVD. I couldn't get the DVD-RAM to work with DVD-Decryptor though. Is there a problem with DVD-RAM and DVD-Decryptor. I checked their site and there doesn't seem to be any info about it.