PDA

View Full Version : after apt-get update...

xaviers2002
07-20-2004, 06:05 PM
I have runned APT-GET UPDATE for a root shell, downloaded all the files, install them. After this, i went for APT-GET -U UPGRADE again for a root shell, donwloaded all the files, install them.
Well, after this my box is incredible slow!!! Did I do something wrong? Is this normal? I mean, it is really slow, reboot, login, opening and closing programs, internet...
Are updates really necessary? Because if not, I will stick with the basic!
Thank You.

PS. Also, APT-GET -U DIST-UPGRADE after that.

Durand Hicks
07-20-2004, 06:57 PM
I think I know what you mean, if you were upgrading from the knoppix install, and replaced the x-window system with the newer version in Debian, then you need to replace the /etc/kde3/xserver script with the debian version. The knoppix script pointed to the huge x file located slightly different than the x file that the debian script pointed to.

Markus
07-20-2004, 06:59 PM
If you haven't purged any services they all got added to the runlevels and started when the packages were upgraded. Don't ask me why it is so, I simply don't understand the reason.
The easiest way is to do cd /etc/rc5.d and do ll and check for todays dates,
those probably got added and you can do update-rc.d -f servicename remove to stop them from starting at boot.
To just stop them do /etc/init.d/servicename stop
Post here the output of ll if you don't know which services you can do without. The ones you know you won't need can be purged with apt.

xaviers2002
07-20-2004, 09:47 PM
[quote]:I think I know what you mean, if you were upgrading from the knoppix install, and replaced the x-window system with the newer version in Debian, then you need to replace the /etc/kde3/xserver script with the debian version.

I am completely new to linux: could You tell me how to do it?

Thanks

PS. On restart is really slow especially when it comes to: STARTING NIS SERVICES YPBIND [BINDING TO YP SERVER...!
Also: RUNNING NTPDATE TO SYNCHRONIZE CLOCK, takes long time!

Thanks again

xaviers2002
07-20-2004, 09:49 PM
For Markus:

What "purged" means?

Sorry I am completely new to linux.

Markus
07-20-2004, 09:58 PM
For the ypbind problem do /etc/init.d/nis stop to stop the nis server.
To purge it means removing it and purging (removing) all configuration files for it with: apt-get --purge remove nis

xaviers2002
07-20-2004, 10:06 PM
For the ypbind problem do /etc/init.d/nis stop to stop the nis server

Is this from a root shell?

Thank You.

Markus
07-20-2004, 10:10 PM
Yes, or just open a normal shell, type su, and give the root password. When done ctrl-d exits/logouts.

xaviers2002
07-20-2004, 10:10 PM
You might want to run `apt-get -f install' to correct these:
The following packages have unmet dependencies:
testdisk: Depends: libntfs5 (>= 1.9.0) but it is not going to be installed
E: Unmet dependencies. Try 'apt-get -f install' with no packages (or specify a solution).

This is what I got from APT-GET --PURGE REMOVE NIS.

Thank You.

xaviers2002
07-20-2004, 10:13 PM
Unpacking libntfs5 (from .../libntfs5_1.9.0-1_i386.deb) ...
dpkg: error processing /var/cache/apt/archives/libntfs5_1.9.0-1_i386.deb (--unp ack):
trying to overwrite `/usr/lib/libntfs.so.5.0.0', which is also in package ntfs progs
dpkg-deb: subprocess paste killed by signal (Broken pipe)
Errors were encountered while processing:
/var/cache/apt/archives/libntfs5_1.9.0-1_i386.deb
E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)

This what I got from APT-GET -F INSTALL.

Thank You.

Markus
07-20-2004, 10:15 PM
Rats, something got borked with your upgrade. Can you post the output of dpkg --configure -a
You can also try apt-get -s -t unstable install libntfs5 remove the -s for simulation if it looks ok.

EDIT: You were too fast :)
dpkg -i --force-all /var/cache/apt/archives/libntfs5_1.9.0-1_i386.deb

xaviers2002
07-20-2004, 10:42 PM
dpkg --configure -a

This is what I got after it:
"Setting up libwine-twain (0.0.20040615-1) ...
Errors were encountered while processing:
testdisk"

apt-get -s -t unstable install libntfs5

"Reading Package Lists... Done
Building Dependency Tree... Done
The following NEW packages will be installed:
libntfs5
0 upgraded, 1 newly installed, 0 to remove and 261 not upgraded.
1 not fully installed or removed.
Inst libntfs5 (1.9.0-1 Debian:testing)
Conf libntfs5 (1.9.0-1 Debian:testing)
Conf testdisk (5.2-6 Debian:testing)"

dpkg -i --force-all /var/cache/apt/archives/libntfs5_1.9.0-1_i386.deb

"(Reading database ... 106714 files and directories currently installed.)
Unpacking libntfs5 (from .../libntfs5_1.9.0-1_i386.deb) ...
dpkg - warning, overriding problem because --force enabled:
trying to overwrite `/usr/lib/libntfs.so.5.0.0', which is also in package ntfsprogs
dpkg - warning, overriding problem because --force enabled:
trying to overwrite `/usr/lib/libntfs.so.5', which is also in package ntfsprogs
Setting up libntfs5 (1.9.0-1) ...."

There is something wrong, correct?

Thank you.

Markus
07-20-2004, 10:50 PM
Umm, how about apt-get -s -t unstable install --reinstall testdisk libntfs5
Seems like your dist-upgrade left some package from testing.

Markus
07-20-2004, 11:09 PM
Hope you get it sorted out while I need some sleep :) (1 am in Finland)
If you want info on apt and dpkg:
http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2638
man apt-get
man dpkg

Durand Hicks
07-21-2004, 06:43 AM
Try this in a console window as root:
dpkg -i --force-overwrite /var/cache/apt/archives/libntfs5_1.9.0-1_i386.deb
That should overwrite the conflicting file(s). After that is done, do this:
dpkg --configure -a
Repeat with the testdisk package if that also shows a breakage.

Durand Hicks
07-21-2004, 06:55 AM
As for the xserver scripts do this in a console as root:
1) type mc
2) cd /etc/kde3/kdm
3) Look for the xservers file. If you see two of them and one is listed as xserver.dpkg-dist. then you need to type the following commands in the console as root:
mv xserver xserver.dpkg-old followed by
mv xserver.dpkg-dist xserver
If you're still in the windows habit of rebooting, you might as well as reboot after this is done. If you're interested in a much quicker way of rebooting the x server, all you need to do is logout of kde, and then click menu>restart xserver. or ctl-alt-backspace. or ctl-alt-f1 and login as root and then type:
/etc/init.d/kdm restart

gowator
07-21-2004, 12:54 PM
Xavier
purge = purger, comme purger le corpse (Im guessing your first language here)
clean out etc.

What they are saying is when you upgrade the packages they get turned on by default when you boot and this is sucking your resources.....

So you need to clean them out....

however.... the big question is how much stuff do you have extra installed.
I never use the upgrade... it is like a large hammer and becuase knoppix isnt quite 100% pure debian it can give problems. Rather I just upgrade individual packages....
when I download i make sure I keep the debs and tarballs and stuff safe and every so often I make a new install from the latest CD.
Then I reuse the packages and see how much still needs upgrading ...
(since there might be later versions of stuff I originally got)

I keep all my downloads and stuff in a seperate partition and I mount this partition below my home... so its /home/me/shared
when you reinstall this partition isnt touched and you just need to make it mount automatically again (you edit /etc/fstab)

Anyway its worth thinking if you want to go through all this or reinstall and that will depend on how much customisation you might loose.

Im guessing since you ay
I am completely new to linux: could You tell me how to do it? that you wont have much....

The updates are nice but not critical.... it might be beter to get more comfortable with linux first and then try.

Markus
07-21-2004, 01:36 PM
If you're in for a reinstall I could recommend Kanotix which is what I'm running. Quite like knoppix but based on pure SID (unstable) which gives you less trouble when upgrading packages.

BTW, did you get over the problem?

xaviers2002
07-21-2004, 08:54 PM
Not sure but I think everything is fine now!!! This what I got after DPKG --CONFIGURE -A:

dpkg --configure -a
Setting up testdisk (5.2-6) ...

What I have to do next? I would like to remind You:
The restart is very slow... it takes very long time to go over {STARTING NIS SERVICES YPBIND [BINDING TO YO SERVER} and {RUNNING NTPDATE TO SYNCHRONIZE CLOCK}

Also, switching from one user to another takes long!!! Are those update really necessary?

Thank You very much!!! [/quote]

xaviers2002
07-21-2004, 09:02 PM
For Durand:

If you're still in the windows habit of rebooting, you might as well as reboot after this is done. If you're interested in a much quicker way of rebooting the x server, all you need to do is logout of kde, and then click menu>restart xserver. or ctl-alt-backspace. or ctl-alt-f1 and login as root and then type:

Could You tell me what I have to do to logout of KDE?

Thnks

xaviers2002
07-21-2004, 09:09 PM
For Gowator:

The updates are nice but not critical.... it might be beter to get more comfortable with linux first and then try.

Could You tell what I should do to get more confortable? I really really like linux and not affraid to dedicate time!
Thanks

Markus
07-21-2004, 09:20 PM
What I have to do next? I would like to remind You:
The restart is very slow... it takes very long time to go over {STARTING NIS SERVICES YPBIND [BINDING TO YO SERVER} and {RUNNING NTPDATE TO SYNCHRONIZE CLOCK}
update-rc.d -f ntpdate remove will stop ntpdate from running at boot
update-rc.d -f nis remove stops nis from running at boot
apt-get --purge remove nis removes nis with all configuration files from your system so you won't get into the same trouble of an upgrade starting it.

Also, switching from one user to another takes long!!! Are those update really necessary?
A lot of people never upgrade their system and generally it's not needed. Only if you've had the same unstable install for months and try to install a package it may not work because it depends on newer versions of already installed packages. I hope that made any sense. Luckily after months or so enough skills should have been acquired to overcome these quirks and therefore the problem will go away almost by itself.

Durand Hicks
07-22-2004, 05:40 AM
Logging out of KDE is real simple. For me, I just right-click the desktop and click logout. Most windows folks probably click on the start button (wheel with a big K) and click log out. Then if you're really lazy, you could put a logout applet in the kicker and just click that to logout.

HTH,

Durand

xaviers2002
07-22-2004, 07:18 PM
OK... The problem with "STARTING NIS SERVICES IS GONE"
I still see "RUNNING NTPDATE TO SYNCHRONIZE CLOCK", BUT IT DOESN'T TAKE THAT LONG AS BEFORE.

I think my biggest consern now, is the fact that my box is slow due to all the programs running in the background! What I have to do to preventing them to start at login?
What I have to do if I want to update and upgrade only 1 program? Because everything has started with JAVA. I went for APT-GET UPDATE, and I was not expecting so many updates!!! Also I was not expecting all the programs up and running at start up like in W$!!!

Thank You.

tnrocketman
07-23-2004, 11:05 PM
Post here the output of ll if you don't know which services you can do without. The ones you know you won't need can be purged with apt.
I have:
bind9
portmap
apmd
cupsys
dbus-1
dhcp3-server
makedev
partimaged
rsync
ssh
sslwrap
xfs
bluez-utils
squid
fetchmail
kdm
xdm
Thanks for any help you can offer me. Also, how can I modify the startup script otherwise?

Markus
07-24-2004, 07:29 AM
Good god! I didn't mean that I would know the answer, just that someone would, so don't blame me if this completely borks up your install.
Some services listen for connections which can be a security risk, check with:
netstat -tap|grep LISTEN and nmap localhost

Anyway I might as well take a shot at this so:

bind9 ,purge, DNS server, most people use what their ISP provides and you would know if you needed it.
portmap ,purge, Remote Procedure Call is used by NFS and NIS servers which you probably aren't running
apmd ,keep, your Power Management
cupsys ,keep, the printing server
dbus-1 ,remove, used for interapplication communication, I purged it without effects but I'm not sure about this
dhcp3-server ,purge, same as with bind you probably don't need this unless your machine is a dhcp server/router
makedev ,keep, not sure about this
partimaged ,remove, a drive imaging/ghosting software which you can start if you need it
rsync ,remove, used for transfering differences of files over a network
ssh ,remove, like encrypted telnet, good to have if you want remote login to your computer
sslwrap ,remove, encryption for mail servers etc., not sure.
xfs ,keep, the font server for X-windows
bluez-utils ,can't say, it's for bluetooth which I don't know if you have
squid ,purge, a proxy server you probably aren't running
fetchmail ,purge, the name says it all and you probably have a normal mail account used with kmail/mozilla
kdm ,keep, your window manager with login screen
xdm ,remove, can someone who actually runs Knoppix confirm that it still uses kdm?

purge after a service means apt-get --purge remove servicename which completely removes it from your computer
remove means update-rc.d -f servicename remove which just removes the startup links
If you want one of them back, say ssh do: update-rc.d ssh defaults
I also don't run any inetd services, check /etc/inetd.conf and comment out everything with a #