PDA

View Full Version : knoppix install - AHHHHHHH... - no can do..

cinogen
07-21-2004, 11:06 AM
i had used knoppix b4 , first time i installed it into mbr with lilo - prefect!!

but now , after i fromatted all my hd's , i try to install the new 3.4 and it just wont load , i tried EVERYTHING , the main problem i think is that the loaders such as lilo GAG and others just dont seem to "see" the linux
when i use the floppy from the install i get ERRORx01 , no matter what
and if i use GAG it just doesnt see it , and so on .
of course MBR install james my comp and i get just 01010101 when i boot.

i just dont seem to get what is the trouble here , maybe i install it wrong or maybe it must be installed in a certain way or place on the hd and i missed that , i duno :roll:

plz help
tnx

mentalalien2002
07-21-2004, 01:11 PM
I have the same problem, except it also doesnt seem to see it when I boot from floppy. And if i boot from CD but use the "knoppix from hd" cheatcode, it says boot info not found

cinogen
07-21-2004, 02:31 PM
i just checked for the lilo error and it says :

error 0x01
“Illegal command”. This shouldn't happen, but if it does, it may indicated an attempt to access a disk which is not supported by the BIOS

??
what does it mean not supported by bios?
what should i check/do?

voldemort
07-21-2004, 02:51 PM
ive had persistant problems with this release as well one of wich is identical to what you said

The two drives i tried were both western digital (maybe has someting to do with it) but the partitioning soft (qtparted) seemed to mess up the drive geometry so went to western digital and downloaded their disk tools and fixed it and then used a different partition program to form the partitions and worked beautifully

but sounds like your drive geometry is messed up

cinogen
07-21-2004, 02:59 PM
o.k - this is written on my knoppix 3.4 :D

stupid stupid stupid me , i checked on the error 0x01 and all i could come up with was ppl saying it was bios related - check it , and my HD which i installed knoppix on was not installed !!!!!!!!!! , although i could use it on the live cd and windows , i didnt suspect it ,coz of autodetect , on the bios it was not installed so i just autodetected , saved the CMOS - and - presto - all well !!!!!!!!

tnx to all - fixed ..!!

voldemort
07-21-2004, 03:14 PM
cool you got off easier than me i tried that on my system when it happened and no go in fact i checked the drive like is said and they came back screwed up (first clue should have been when qtparted told me the drive had 4gb less than it really had....)