PDA

View Full Version : Booting

xdentan
07-21-2004, 08:20 PM
I have finally burned the iso cd, and now do not know how to boot from it. What settings do I have to change to get it to boot? I have xp pro and a 98 computer.

j.drake
07-21-2004, 08:50 PM
Main thing is that you want to open your BIOS and make sure that your CD drive is in the boot order before any HDs. You access BIOS by rebooting and pushing one of the Fn keys. If you see the splash screen for the installed OS, you waited too long, reboot and go quicker with the finger. Which Fn key you use depends on the BIOS installed. Once in bios, look for the boot order. Depending on your intentions, and the capabilities of your BIOS, you might have, e.g.: floppy -> USB -> PXE (booting from network over ethernet) -> CD1 -> CD2 -> HD1 -> HD2. Once you set it up, save the config, insert the CD and reboot. Should come up. Again, some BIOSes cannot handle CD as a boot device.

jd

xdentan
07-21-2004, 10:27 PM
thanks for the help, but how do I get back to windows... can I simply reboot and remove the cd and it will come back up, and when I want it to boot linux I simply put in the disk?

Thanks

xaviers2002
07-21-2004, 11:05 PM
When You want to switch to windows just go to LOGOFF. Then the screen will tell You if You want to RESTART OR SHUT DOWN. Clik ENTER.
On both cases the cd will come off the CD-ROM automatically!!!

What a beautifull OS is Linux!!!

j.drake
07-22-2004, 12:04 AM
thanks for the help, but how do I get back to windows... can I simply reboot and remove the cd and it will come back up, and when I want it to boot linux I simply put in the disk?

Thanks

Absolutely! Nothing is changed by booting with the CD. Without the CD, your system is exactly as it was before. Nothing will have changed unless you take deliberate measures to change it, and there are safeguards in place to keep that from happening accidentally. Installing Windows is like getting married - expensive, big commitment, and if you don't like it the divorce is long and painful. Running Knoppix CD is like going out with a ... well, you get the idea,, except that it's free and legal, and you can't catch a disease. There is no commitment, no installation, the session lasts only as long as you have the computer on.

jd