PDA

View Full Version : Revolving Door Graphical Login

beforewisdom
03-15-2003, 02:13 PM
Hi;

I powered down my computer in the appropiate fashion ( "halt" from root ).

When I booted back up a message came onto the screen saying that hda1 had been mounted 34 times without a check......a check ran. ( incrementing percentages as a "\" revolved around).

Once the graphical login prompt came up I tried logging into icewm, but I would come right back to the graphical login prompt.

The same has been true for every other window manager.

For some reason if I try KDE it takes me back to a command prompt.

Any ideas how this problem happened and how I can prevent it?

Luckily, I haven't settled into knoppix yet so reinstalling wouldn't cause a hardship.

Steve

abp
03-15-2003, 07:20 PM
You'll have to fix your harddisk.

Go to a console eg. CTRL-ALT-F2, and log in from there. Look at the bootmessages (CTRL-ALT-F) for clues on howto fix the harddisk.

I had some similar problems with XFS, because it didn't autorepair - properbly just a change in /etc/fstab.

fingers99
03-17-2003, 12:14 AM
Can you login (graphically) as root? If so, try resetting the permissions on /dev/null to read/write.

If you can't login as root, use the Knoppix CD in knoppix 2 mode and run fsck on the root partition of your hard drive.

Both of these have worked for me when I had similar problems (both documented here), but I'm completely unsure of what actually causes the problem in the first place. :evil:

johncarlson21
03-24-2003, 09:39 PM
I am now having that same problem where I type in the name and password and it puts me back to the login screen...
does it have something to do with Xserver?
because when I get to the shell after loging in it won't let me start xserver or something like that...
:evil:
if anyone could help please let me know by e-mail...
johncarlson21@hotmail.com or
tritoncomputers@hotmail.com