PDA

View Full Version : Attaching midi keyboard/synthesizer

el_supremo
07-21-2004, 10:23 PM
I have a Yamaha SY77 synthesizer which I would like to access via Midi on Knoppix but I can't figure out how to get Linux/Knoppix to see it as a device nor sort out which program(s) can read/transmit midi data to/from the SY77.
It is connected to the computer via a RS232/Midi adapter on the computer's COM2: port.
I've tried a couple of program on the Knoppix distribution but they don't "see" the SY77.
Rosegarden's Midi setup has the device set to /dev/sequencer and there seems to be no way to change it - even if I knew what to change it to.
I've also downloaded a couple of sequencing programs but they don't see the keyboard either. One of them complains that it can't find /dev/snd/seq.

Can someone help me get this working please?
What I was hoping to do eventually was to convert a C program I wrote for my Amiga which can aid in the editing of voices. If I can find a program which actually "sees" the SY77 I can probably then figure out how to convert my own program.

Best Wishes
Pete

user unknown
07-26-2004, 04:47 AM
did you google for 'yamaha SY77 linux'?

nothing helpful?

el_supremo
07-26-2004, 05:28 PM
did you google for 'yamaha SY77 linux'?
nothing helpful?

Yeah, and I tried all sorts of other variations too. In the end I broke down and bought a $25 (Canadian) cabler to hook the synth to my SoundBlaster card's midi/gameport.
I still can't get the midi to work on Knoppix though.
I've booted up dyne:bolic and have been able to get it to work with some of the programs on that release, including SoundTracker.

Best Wishes
Pete