PDA

View Full Version : Help! Can't access Knoppix.

pgk3734
07-21-2004, 10:51 PM
I installed another system on a lin partition (Mandrake) which has been removed. Anyhow, now the lilo gui shows up and when I click on it instead of the Knoppix loading I get this:
initrd-tools: 0.1.67
mount: fs type devfs not supported by Kernel
umount: devfs: not mounted
mount: fs type devfs not supported by Kernel
umount: devfs: not mounted
chroot: /sbin/init: no such file or directory
Kernel panic: Attempted to kill init!

All of this, of course, after I tried to reinstll lilo to the hda4 root partition.

Can anyone help steer me the right direction?
I can access the partition with the knoppix 3.4 disk, the partition and all info is there, I just can't access it.

tia
pgk

shah
07-22-2004, 04:51 AM
Not enough information. Tell us what you install, in what partition and send your lilo.conf, then we can help you....I hope.

mzilikazi
07-22-2004, 06:30 AM
I installed another system on a lin partition (Mandrake) which has been removed. Anyhow, now the lilo gui shows up and when I click on it instead of the Knoppix loading I get this:

You can click on LILO??? How? I want to know.

pgk3734
07-22-2004, 05:45 PM
Yes, the lilo gui comes up with selection of kernels and windowsxp and I
can select default 2.4 or any and I get the above instead of booting up.
I must add this happened after I tried some instructions (cheats, etc).
I edited lilo.conf to reflect that hda4 is where the boot info is to be and
was able to save this in the knoppix partition (hda4). I did something wrong, I suspect. I am having a hard time to get the lilo.conf copied to the winxp partition.
tia
pgk

mzilikazi
07-23-2004, 05:48 PM
Yes, the lilo gui comes up with selection of kernels and windowsxp and I
can select default 2.4 or any and I get the above instead of booting up.
I must add this happened after I tried some instructions (cheats, etc).
I edited lilo.conf to reflect that hda4 is where the boot info is to be and
was able to save this in the knoppix partition (hda4). I did something wrong, I suspect. I am having a hard time to get the lilo.conf copied to the winxp partition.
tia
pgk

You cannot do this -----> "I am having a hard time to get the lilo.conf copied to the winxp partition." lilo.conf is the configuration file for lilo and belongs on your linux partition. lilo.conf is obviously not right so let's fix it. Here's what you do:

It seems you installed Knoppix to /dev/hda4.
Boot Knoppix
mount /dev/hda4 /mnt/hda4
xedit /mnt/hda4/etc/lilo.conf

Paste your entire lilo.conf file here in the forum. Also explain how your drive is partitioned and what OS is on which partition. Without that information I think no one can really help.