PDA

View Full Version : Boot freeze on Pavilion ze4610US

mephiska
07-22-2004, 05:36 AM
Okay, I've got Knoppix 3.4 burned and working, but I can't get it to boot my HP Pavilion laptop on anything other than failsafe. I've searched these forums and tried the stuff that seems to have worked for others, but not working for me. Here's what's going on:

Knoppix boot screen loads, it hit enter and first 2 lines load, "minirt24.gz.....", then screen blanks out and nothing. CD access stops and nothing.

I've tried the following boot cheatcodes so far:

fb1024x768
knoppix screen=1024x768
nodma
nodma nopcmcia noapm
and a few other cheatcodes that looked like they'd be helpful but I can't remember.

Anyone gotten knoppix 3.4 to boot with this laptop?

Thanks,
Jason

chaZZbro
07-31-2004, 06:36 PM
I'm getting the same symptoms with a Presario 2175US. Knoppix 3.3 works like a charm -
just hit <cr> at the boot prompt and everything just works.

I have noticed that while I can boot in failsafe mode, my X display is corrupted --- just about 2" or random color hash along the top of the screen.

Any help deeply appreciated.

Thanks,
Charlie

ryerye
08-06-2004, 10:58 PM
i wish i had a fix, but i can only say that i have the same exact problem..
i have an hp pavilion ze4600 .. 3.2 and 3.3 work great, even on hd...

if i boot in failsafe and let it sit, it will eventually bring up the full splash and the kde dialog, but it freezes and disables all buttons - even my cdrom eject.
i had to take the battery out to get it to stop - ouch..

i've checked the checksum of my iso and it's fine. suppose this is a bug.. i've just read that there are "a couple of new steps" concerning the hw-detection ( ironically this is why i wanted 3.4 so much, for a wireless card..)

please post any fix!!! thanks.

kemen
08-27-2004, 03:58 AM
To boot up in Knoopix put in 'knoppix acpi=no' (no quotes) This should allow you to boot up

markn1ugm
09-06-2004, 08:28 AM
I have currently installed on my ze4610us Knoppix 3.4. I encountered the same problem. Now I use the 2.6 kernel and this is the boot prompt cheatcodes i used to get this to run.

knoppix26 apm=off nolapic noscsi momce acpi=on

The nolapic is needed so acpi will work. What's happening o theboot that hangs is that it is looking for a scsi device that is obviously not there. BTW this only startedhappening on this laptop with knoppix 3.4, Knoppix 3.3 did not have this happen. And yes it still happens with 3.6 BTW

Hope this helps.

extricator71
09-14-2004, 05:20 AM
I was having the same problem running 3.6 on my ZE4800 pavillion, I used:

knoppix26 nolapic

at the boot and it worked just fine. Now im having wireless problems but I at least can boot up.

selitskcaj
10-13-2004, 07:02 AM
I am getting the same problem. After knoppix boots, the screen goes blanks. I've tried typing the cheatcodes that are here and some others on some other sites. The only one that ever does anything is the vga=normal and all that happens then is it will say "uncompressed kenral" something like that and then will just sit there. does anybody know a fix for this?