PDA

View Full Version : Copy files to floppy

CasaBlanca
07-22-2004, 06:09 PM
Sorry, I am still reading doc, FAQ, but I cannot find this:
How can I copy a file to a floppy disk. The disk has been formatted under Windows and I need to copy this file onto a Windows workstation.
Thank you.

Cuddles
07-22-2004, 06:26 PM
CasaBlanca,

You want the easy, or harder, more command line, way???

Easy way ( the GUI way )
1 ) Click on the icon on your desktop that is for the floppy drive (device) -=- this should mount the floppy device...

2 ) Click on the "House" icon you have that runs on the bottom of your screen -=- this should open a Konq. window ( like Windows Explorer )

3 ) Locate the file you want to copy, right-click on it, and select "copy"

4 ) Repeat click on the "<-" button on the top of the Konq. window, until you get to "/", then locate the folder "floppy", and click on it

5 ) Right-Click in the file view pane, and select "paste" -=- this should copy your selected file.

The Command Line Way
1 ) Open a Konsole window - the little "monitor" icon that runs along the bottom of your screen.

2 ) At the prompt, type "mount /dev/floppy" -=- without the double-quotes -=- this should mount the floppy device

3 ) Do the following command "cp [path-to-original-file][file name] [space] /floppy/[target-filename]

This should copy the file from [path]filename to the floppy, as [target-filename]

After you are done, be sure to "unmount" your floppy device, if you want to do it through the GUI - close the Konq. window, right-click on the floppy icon and select "unmount" - to do the same thing in the command line - just use "umount /floppy" - again, without the double-quotes...

Hope this helps,
Ms. Cuddles

CasaBlanca
07-22-2004, 08:40 PM
Thank you so much, Ms. Cuddles.

Cuddles
07-23-2004, 02:35 PM
CasaBlanca,

My pleasure... ( after re-reading my reply -previous- -=- I realized I had "maybe" a few typo's in it, hopefully, you caught them? )

One "notable" boo-boo, was the "mount" and "umount" - in one I say /dev/floppy, and the other I say /floppy -=- if you haven't gotten mount to work, or a umount to work, you might want to do a ...

cat /etc/fstab

and see what your devices look like... since "mount" and "umount" will look in that file to resolve any of these commands... As in the case of my fstab file:

cuddles@Morpheus:~$ cat /etc/fstab
# /etc/fstab: filesystem table.
#
# filesystem mountpoint type options dump pass
# Root partition
/dev/hda5 / ext3 defaults,errors=remount-ro 0 1
# Home partition
/dev/hda6 /home auto defaults,auto 0 2
# Swap partition
/dev/hda3 none swap defaults 0 0
# USB hub mount point
usbdevfs /proc/bus/usb usbdevfs defaults 0 0
# SYS hub mount point
sysfs /sys sysfs defaults 0 0
# Boot partition
/dev/hda1 /mnt/hda1 ext3 noauto,users,exec 0 0
#
proc /proc proc defaults 0 0
# Secondary HD part1 VFAT DOS FS
/dev/hdc1 /mnt/hdc1 vfat defaults,users,noauto,exec,umask=000 0 0
# Secondary HD part2 Linux FS
/dev/hdc2 /mnt/hdc2 ext3 defaults,users,noauto,exec 0 0
# SanDisk USB
/dev/sda1 /mnt/sda1 vfat noauto,users,exec,noatime,umask=000 0 0
# Remaining devices
/dev/fd0 /floppy vfat defaults,user,noauto,showexec,umask=022 0 0
/dev/dvd /dvd iso9660 defaults,ro,user,noexec,noauto 0 0
/dev/cdaudio /cdaudio iso9660 defaults,ro,user,noexec,noauto 0 0
/dev/cdrom /cdrom iso9660 defaults,ro,user,noexec,noauto 0 0
/dev/cdrom1 /cdrom1 iso9660 defaults,ro,user,noexec,noauto 0 0
cuddles@Morpheus:~$

(pardon my long fstab file, I like to comment things)
My mount point would be /floppy -=- but the actual device name would be /dev/fd0

Hopefully, you figured that out on your own system, if you did the command line way, and you aren't just sitting at a command Konsole wondering what is going on... ( sorry bout the quick, unthought-out, response, initially - I should have been more "detailed" on it, before )

Hope this has helped,
Ms. Cuddles