PDA

View Full Version : Need help. Im AFRAID

andy18
07-22-2004, 07:51 PM
Hello- Im a really really a newbie at this. Please bare with me.

I have had read every single article, docs, etc... and still Im confused.

If someone here could give me a detailed outline step-by-step on how to do this then I would appreciate it, really.

Currently, Im running Windows 2000 with a 34.00GB Hdd (NTFS) and I want to install Knoppix 3.4 on the hardrive. Its really annoying to pop in the CD every time I want to use Knoppix.

Now when knoppix 3.4 boots up what do I have to type? knoppix-install or knx-hdinstall? When the partitioning part comes up, do I need to use like P-Magic to create one or will this installer do everything for me like resizing and stuff like that??? That would be nice. Also, how would I create a boot loader in order to have an option of booting into Windows or Knoppix?

So please, I need like a detailed outline on how to set this up. At this point Im very scared of ruining my machine.

Thanks

j.drake
07-22-2004, 11:54 PM
Have you looked at partitioning and file systems yet? You know you can't install Linux to NTFS, right?

Search the forum for a thread started by a fellow with the screen name ruymbeke (I'd find it for you, but I have to leave on vacation in a few moments) He saved the Knoppix image to his NTFS drive as a file and booted it somehow with a bootloader that Windows understands. He signs off with the name Gilles. I had some posts in his thread also. Here it is http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=53357#53357 Essentially, it is very low risk for someone with limited linux experience, but gives really good functionality. The key is using the bootcodes "tohd" to copy the image to HD, and "fromhd" to reload from hd.

If you use that booting from CD, it's called a poor man's install, and is much faster, and makes your CD available for other things. Here's a post I made regarding that option. Just read down to where I asked for help with the USB, and it will tell you how. http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=53064#53064

I would recommend searching around for some of these posts and learn about these other options first.

jd

andy18
07-23-2004, 02:28 AM
What would be easier? A poormans install or installing it onto the HD?

This is very hard for me and a challenge. Is there instructions on the Poormans Install?

andy18
07-23-2004, 02:43 AM
Better yet, where could I find all the Cheat Codes for the boot options?

j.drake
07-23-2004, 04:57 AM
If you go to the docs tab at the top, click it and scroll down, you'll find a link which will take you here. http://www.knoppix.net/docs/index.php/CheatCodes I think they're also bundled on the CD

jd

j.drake
07-23-2004, 04:59 AM
What would be easier? A poormans install or installing it onto the HD?

This is very hard for me and a challenge. Is there instructions on the Poormans Install?

Believe me, I understand. I wasn't a CS major in college, and I'm not a computer professional. Linux can be hard. Seriously, read the link I posted for you earlier on this. Read up to the point where I ask for help on the USB. That's all there is to it. Poor man's is very easy, and carries the least risk.

jd

andy18
07-23-2004, 06:02 AM
Ok,

Now for instance, If I decide to DELETE WINDOWS ALL TOGETHER and installing KNOPPIX completely how would this work???? Please explain the steps.

Because in my opinion I think it would be much easier for me to just to do this without dual booting. Just keep Knoppix.

Is there any manuals on how to install this when completely removing Windows?

j.drake
07-23-2004, 01:45 PM
Nothing that Windows has is necessary for Knoppix to run. You could absolutely wipe your HD and still run Knoppix from CD, or install from CD. There are various options.

I really hate to see you do anything drastic until you have lived with linux for a while. It's a remarkable OS, but it's still in development. Enough of us have had the panic of having the Windows OS wiped out by accident, and then we're left with an unfamiliar OS. I can't imagine that you want to do that to yourself on purpose just yet.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding and maybe you are dealing with an extra machine that you don't have to rely upon working. You need to disabuse yourself of the notion that a hd install is "easier". Very experienced linux folks have spent weeks here trying to resolve small problems which arise in a hd installation. There is no tech support to call. There are very few wizards. Compatability problems generally involve editing files. The nature of some of your questions leads me to have a concern that you may not be prepared for that. Maybe you're used to the idea that things are easier in Windows with a HD install - not necessarily so for linux.

I would really do poor man's if I were you. If you're ready for HD install, great. Be sure to back up all your data first, though!

andy18
07-23-2004, 03:32 PM
I read the link that you gave me. But Im still confused. I appologize.

I would appreciate it if you could explain by step-by-step the process of a poor man's install going down the list from 1 to 10 or something on what to do. I printed the link that you gave me above. The problem is I have a Win2K with an NTFS file system.

Do I need to create any type of partition before doing this on Windows or on Knoppix?

Its just really annoying that I have to pop in the CD everytime I want to use Linux. Could that be avoided in a poor mans install?

bob58
07-26-2004, 02:27 PM
Hi Andy....Yah it's quite the dilemma. but j.drake is right. Dont abandon Windows too quickly!!!! Indeed LINUX can be HARD. But with patience and the forum, it has helped me along. I have been using Knoppix since March of this year. What worked for me was I popped in a SECOND HARD DRIVE. I got a 40G from my brother for nothing. I believe he had WinXP on it so there was still an NTFS partition on it. I can't remember how I deleted the NTFS partition and partitioned it for Linux. But thats easy to find in the forum or just ask. Anyway, It wouldnt matter how much i screwed up the installation on the 2nd HDD when i started cause i could always re do it! To me, that seems like a good choice, with the low price of hard drives today. Then you dont risk the chance of wiping out your Windows. You just have to change boot sequence in BIOS to boot from CD, and to make sure you install on HD "B", that is, hard drive "B" the second hard drive. Hard drive "A" is the one with windows, the FIRST hard drive. Anyway thats how mine was done.
But if you have Win2000, you could always start from scratch and partition drive for the 2 OS's. At least with Win2000 you dont have to go thru all the BS of re activating when you re-install again like i did. Believe me i was pretty confused at first, but the simplest way for me was to install Knoppix on a separate HD. That way i could still have my WindowsXP and also learn Knoppix without breaking anything. Another idea is if you have an extra PC laying around, you could also use that as experimental Knoppix machine. I must have installed and re installed dozens of times, so now i have most of it down pat. I do like 3.4 better than 3.3 though. As far as poor mans install, i dont know about that one. It is tempting, after running the CD a few times, to want to do a full HD install. just read the forum messages and get a little more knowledge first....and you will always find someone to help you in here...I know cause the people in here helped me alot. bob