PDA

View Full Version : Dual Boot Knoppix and Windows(Dual Boot)?

jimbo62
07-22-2004, 11:58 PM
My current system has Win98se on hard drive "C" and WinXP on hard drive "D" using the WinXP boot loader to give a dual boot configuration.

What I want is to keep the current configuration but add Knoppix to a second set of linux partitions on "C" hard drive.

Any ideas on how to set up this "tri boot" system?

jimbo

DusteD
08-02-2004, 09:58 PM
you should be able to boot the knx live cd and make a sudo knx2hd and install knoppix to hda3/4?, when thats done you most likely need to edit /etc/lilo.conf (as a superuser) and then simply type "sudo lilo" in a console...
read a lil about how to configure lilo and find out what to type to start up the ms multiboot menu thingy wich is most likely installed on your xp drive (hda2)

please, if im wrong, correct me, and ill lern :)

firebyrd10
08-03-2004, 02:39 AM
YEs it would be possible.

First amke sure all data on the NTFS drive is near the front (do a defrag) or use a commerical partition software that can move the BTFS data without corrupting it. THen creat a 3 gig ext2 partiton and a 200 meg swap partiton (minimum) Then type sudo knoppix-installer and follow the directions, you will probably want a debian install.

As for useing the windows bootloader, you would have to know which part to call up and I'm not even sure if its possible as windows can't nativly read ext2.

You might be better off with Lilo.

jimbo62
08-05-2004, 12:07 AM
Thanks for your replies. I was planning on resizing "C" which is FAT32 and creating new Linux partitions in the free space created. Would Partition Magic work?

And I was thinking about installing LILO on the first hard drive MBR. Then LILO would give me a choice of booting either Linux of what ever is in the boot sector of "C". The boot sector of "C" has the WinXP boot loader. So what I hoped would happen is that when I booted the computer, I would get the LILO loader that would give me a choice of Linux or "C". And if I choose "C", the WinXP boot loader would then give me a choice of Win98 or WinXP.

Please let me know if you think this approach is feasible.

jimbo

jimbo62
08-09-2004, 04:22 PM
Just an update. The approach described in my previous message worked perfectly.

jimbo