PDA

View Full Version : Can't get Knoppix 3.4 5-17-2004 ver. to boot from disk

queen2
07-23-2004, 05:02 AM
I downloaded the iso image to my harddrive (690MB took FOREVER even over DSL!). I got it from the perdue Knoppix mirror. Reputable. Running Windows XP Home.

I validated the MD5 hashes,
changed my boot sequence to check the CD first,
copied the iso to a cd-r...
When I reboot it checks the CD rom drive VERY quickly and then immediately boots to Windows XP Home.

It isn't the BIOS boot sequence. I checked. Do I have to DO something to the iso before burning it to cd or something? I thought I had read all the instructions and FAQs on the main Knoppix site.

What did I do wrong?

I am new to Linux and am trying to get Knoppix to work for a lab for an incident response course. Didn't want to overlay my current OS since it is the family computer. Ya know?

Help on how to get my CD to boot is MUCH APPRECIATED!
:D

j.drake
07-23-2004, 05:11 AM
copied the iso to a cd-r...

How did you do this? Most people do it wrong the first time. It's not a matter of drag, drop and burn a copy. If you have Nero or EZ CD creator, put the blank in, then double-click the ISO download file. The rest will happen automatically. Your use of the word "copy" leads me to suspect that you made the same mistake that many other people do the first time.

jd

queen2
07-23-2004, 05:22 AM
Yup...that is EXACTLY what I did...glad to hear it is a common mistake. I will try buring again...Knew I should have used a CD-RW dang it.

THanks for the quick response. I will come back if the problem recurs.

:D

queen2
07-23-2004, 05:38 AM
i did what you said and Windows couldn't figure out how to open it and nothing happened automatically. MS directed me to some webpages/software sites that could read my iso. I downloaded ISObuster and can veiw the contents of the CD now but I still don't see how to copy it to CD other than drag/drop. What did I miss?

queen2
07-23-2004, 05:49 AM
downloaded Nero 6 and going to try again....thanks

queen2
07-23-2004, 07:12 AM
It appears that my DSL modem is not being recognized by Knoppix 3.4. It is a Westell Wirespeed model b90-211010-04. I read on a post somewhere (God knows where...looked too many places now!) that maybe I have to enter something in etc? I have the USB connection for the modem plugged in while I am booting but I guess there is something I need to do (no Windows Wizard for Network connection :roll: )

Thanks to jdrake all other systems on Knoppix booting fine on my Dell laptop. CD kept stalling when I tried to boot on my Compaq Desktop though. Any ideas on this? The monitor would freeze or something and the CD drive stopped reading. Wierd. Used on my laptop fine.

Any ideas on the DSL internet connection setup or why my compaq presario 6000 would just stop like that? hmmm. :(

j.drake
07-23-2004, 01:51 PM
Not sure what to say. My Westel DSL worked straight out of the box, so I never had to face this, and my computer is an HP, which is very similar to Compaq.

My guess is that it's not your modem. It's separate from your computer, and neither your computer nor Knoppix know or care whether it's Westel or Ronco. My bet is that your network card (or Wi-Fi) isn't being detected, or that you don't have good linux drivers. Poke around to see if you get eror messages and post them on the forum. There should be something on the WIKI telling you how to do that, or run a search on the forum.

jd