PDA

View Full Version : Wireless PC Card?

jimbo62
07-23-2004, 10:54 PM
Knoppix boots just fine on my Sony laptop, but the wireless PC card is not installed. As far as I can tell, the D-Link DWL-G650 card does not have drivers for Linux.

Can someone recommend an 802.11b or g PC card that does have Linux drivers and that Knoppix will find and install?

Thanks, jimbo

Mark Walter
07-24-2004, 02:42 PM
I have just picked up a d_link dwl-122. This is a wlan usb adapter. It is supposed to be supported via the prism drivers

The reason I say its supposed to be is that I am having problems setting it up. I am able to have the system recognize the wlan link, and I can even get airsnort to read data thru it, but I cant get the system/browser to connect to it.

It's probably me: I doing something wrong here (damn if I know what tho).

Anyway the dwl-122 is a card you should ck out

gd luck

wtoomer
07-24-2004, 02:58 PM
Jim
Well I have been trying to WIFI to work with any verison of Linux.. I have tryed Red Hat,Mandrake,suse all with no luck

This verison of KNOPPIX 3.4 has found my WIFI card and works very well

so to answer your guestion am using a

NETGEAR WG511.

Hope this helps you..
William

jimbo62
07-26-2004, 01:01 AM
Well, I had a ZoomAir 802.11b Prism card in my spare parts collection, so I installed it in WinXP and verified that it worked. Then I booted Knoppix from the CD and the card was installed and I was surfing with Mozilla in about 2 minutes!! It was easier than WinXP where I had to install software and drivers, reboot, install the card and then scan for a signal and then join that signal before I could connect to the Internet.

jimbo