PDA

View Full Version : Anybody been successful formatting w/ xfs?

rickenbacherus
03-15-2003, 09:02 PM
Just curious- anybody got it to work? I've tried repeatedly to format xfs using the knx-hdinstall but if I do the install fails anywhere from 35% to 85% finished. Install works fine w/ ext3.

abp
03-16-2003, 12:16 AM
I'm only using xfs - except for booting :wink:

I think that the installation problem is caused by bad CD-rom drives. I read on a maillist that there where problems with bad CD-rom drives in the 2.4.x

Does the problem with the CD that locksup only occur on xfs-installations?

rickenbacherus
03-16-2003, 12:34 AM
Correct it only locks when I try to install on xfs. It's working great on ext3 though. I just wanted to try out xfs you know??? I haven't given up yet, got some other machines to build and whatnot.

abp
03-21-2003, 11:39 PM
Try go into runlevel 1 for installation on xfs:

I've realized that when the installation takes place the system interrupts.:idea:

My Workflow:
Boot from CD
CTRL-ALT-F1

init 1
Wait till the system is down

knx-hdinstall

Hope that's it - still suspect the too good CD driver though. :wink:

rickenbacherus
03-24-2003, 01:30 AM
I am finding that it is fairly common for the install to hang when trying xfs. They (Klaus & others) are apparently working on this so for now I guess I wait.

abp
03-24-2003, 10:29 AM
It hasn't locked up during installation since I went into runlevel 1. It's not optimal that you have to shift runlevel but if it works :D

rickenbacherus
03-24-2003, 01:52 PM
It hasn't locked up during installation since I went into runlevel 1. It's not optimal that you have to shift runlevel but if it works :D

I may have to give it a try next time I do an install. {I've already installed Linux to almost every machine I can get my hands on) :D
I think I'm getting installers burnout. :)

rickenbacherus
03-28-2003, 01:01 PM
date: Thu, 27 Mar 2003 12:25:18 -0500
Subject: [debian-knoppix] Re: XFS and installing v3.2

I also experienced some problems that I have read on the list
regarding using xfs filesystem.

(a) some comments about kernel panic when booting after a
successful knx-hdinstall.. I'm pretty sure that is related to
not including a initrd.gz in the boot loader. I'm using grub
and not lilo, but I needed the "initrd /initrd.gz" in my
grub.conf.

(b) I tried many times the runlevel 1 to install on xfs filesystem..
but that still didn't help me. I actually manually tried to install
and
got the same problems. (boot with knoppix, make xfs, mount, cp
/KNOPPIX/)
and still locked up. What did work was cp -a /KNOPPIX/* to a
intermediate
ext2 mount and then installing from there instead of CD-ROM.
(not sure why.. I tried with and w/o dma)

cmr
04-04-2003, 10:02 PM
I'm glad to hear that this seems to be an xfs problem. I was afraid that I had a hardware or BIOS problem. By trial & error I was able to work around this problem and complete a HD install to an xfs partition. I did it by editing two lines of code in the knx-hdinstall script. Normally the command is `cp -a ...` and runs in the backround while the next line displays a progress bar. I changed it to `cp -av ...` and ran it in the foreground, and commented out the progress bar entirely.
In stead of a progress bar, all of the files scroll on the display. I suspect that this slows down the copy and avoids some kind of timing problem.

rickenbacherus
04-04-2003, 11:06 PM
How long have you had this 3.2 on xfs install working? Any noticeable problems? I personally would much rather see what's going on kernel-wise than watch a progress bar. (I surmise it is really an optical aid for those too accustomed to the pretty blinky blinky lights that some other OS's like to use). ;)

I'll have to try this out. I have seen others in the mailing list talk about this same issue but never seen this soluition before. I have also seen a fair amount of problems using Reiser.

Right on cmr.

cmr
04-04-2003, 11:39 PM
I'm sorry to say that I've been playing with this for only a week -- not long enough to say anything at all about xfs. But the solution, of editing the cp command, seems a sure-fix. I've done it several times now. It always fails at about the same place without making the change, and it always works, with the change.
I've got a spare PC to play with and I'm going to be working with it over the next several weeks. I'll keep you posted.
Other forums that I frequent, have nothing but good things to say about xfs. The only drawback is that it requires a patched kernel.

psher
04-05-2003, 09:31 PM
The way I did it (doesn't require a boot _then_ runlevel change, or modifying a script for those uncomfortable with that):

At start up,
1) press "F2" for ~hints (can probably skip ths step)
2) type in: "knoppix 2"
3) type in: "knx-hdinstall" when get a prompt (or what ever the exact command is - I never type in anything over a few chars in in full -just hit tab after "knx" to complete the command)

Regards,
Patrick

rla
04-08-2003, 09:37 AM
I have installed knoppix V3.2 03-03-30 de on xfs with knx-hdinstall from the root-shell.
I had no serious problems. Only a message "cp -a cannot stat /alternatives/openoffice" but openoffice is working.
It seems the xfs-problems are solved in this release.

RLA

00alexx
05-29-2003, 10:18 PM
at least i assume it has got to do with xfs.

i have knoppix 3.2 and i do a hdinstall, have tried several methods:
- normal hd-install
- switching to runlevel 1, then install
- booting to runlevel 2, then install
- booting to runlevel 2 and modifying the knx-hdinstall script (remove the progress bar and let cp run verbose in foreground)

it always hanged at different positions (26%, 75%, 99% ...). except for once (under normal kde environment!), there it got through till the end, but i messed something up lateron and had to install again :(

any suggestions?

bye,
alex

rickenbacherus
05-29-2003, 11:23 PM
Did you try this:

cp -a /KNOPPIX/* to a
intermediate
ext2 mount and then installing from there instead of CD-ROM.

aay
05-30-2003, 04:24 AM
There is an interesting article here (http://www.linux-mag.com/2002-10/jfs_01.html) that explains differences in file systems. But even after looking it over I can't really see any really compelling reasons to prefer XFS to over ext3. Reiserfs has proved buggy to me on various systems. Have any of you seen noticible performance increases with XFS? Other reasons to use it?

00alexx
05-30-2003, 10:19 AM
no, i didnt try this. the problem is that i do not have too much space left on my harddisk.
could i afterwards delete the ext partition and append it to the xfs partition without losing data?

you cannot convert ext3 to xfs afterwards, right?

bye,
alex

aay
05-30-2003, 03:27 PM
you cannot convert ext3 to xfs afterwards, right?

Right you cannot do this. The only conversion of linux file systems that I know that works well is ext2 to ext3.

yobxipponk
06-18-2003, 03:10 PM
Just curious- anybody got it to work? I've tried repeatedly to format xfs using the knx-hdinstall but if I do the install fails anywhere from 35% to 85% finished. Install works fine w/ ext3.

I found that on my Athlon with my install drive on a pci-ide card, the xfs install fails, but all other work. On my p3 laptop, xfs hdinstall works fine. Knoppix 3.2-20030520

rickenbacherus
06-18-2003, 10:28 PM
Have any of you seen noticible performance increases with XFS? Other reasons to use it?

I've switched to Reiser- there really wasn't any reason to use xfs.

yobxipponk
06-19-2003, 08:18 AM
Have any of you seen noticible performance increases with XFS? Other reasons to use it?

Nothing noticible, but then I dont do heavy file lifting.