PDA

View Full Version : complete noob, issues

bigbadgreen
07-24-2004, 05:34 AM
first off, yes I'm a complete noob to linux etc... I'm not a noob to windows or computers in general.
Here's my issue. I can boot and run knoppix off of the cd just fine, when I try to copy it to the hd some things happen. First off the partition is formatted in FAT32 and is 2.5GB. Everything is fine when i use the boot "cheat" tohd=/dev/hda2 is starts to copy, everything here is smooth. Next it always gets to %66 and then stops copying, the cd drive slows down and I get a tranfer rate of 7.xxx kbsec. I've tried this multiple times thinking I did something wrong and it always starts slowing at %66 and by %67 I get an error message about not enough memory.

at first I wanted to load it into just the ram with the cheat toram and it also slows at %66. I have 768MB ram.

My first reaction is to think I have an incomplete cd, but i'm able to boot into knoppix just fine from the CD.

I'm lost and my googles and other searches aren't helping much. Any help for somebody looking to get away from microsoft for a change?

Cuddles
07-24-2004, 08:48 PM
bigbadgreen,

Reading through your delema, my first thought was the partition size, and by the time I got done reading your complete post, I stand by my initial thought....

From what I know, the tohd cheatcode is not copying the CD-ROM "image" to your hard drive, but, the "uncompressed" data that is stored on that CD, I may be wrong here though....

My best guess, and this may be a proof on my theory, too -=- Can you increase that "Linux" partition, to say, 4 GB ? Then try the tohd again, and see if it ( 1 ) works completely, or, ( 2 ) gets further into the copy, say, farther than 66% that is...

If my theory is correct, the CD has 700 MB of stored data on it, if, assuming a 2:1 compression ratio, that would be a 1.4 GB amount of data, uncompressed - it should fit on a 2.5 GB location, but, maybe some configs or "who knows" is being setup on the drive during the install, and thus, you don't get the copy to complete...

Hoefully, this "test" will either prove me right, or, you can "offset" your partitions to gain the, say, extra 1.5 GB space from 2.5 to 4 GB - if it doesn't work, you can always drop the partition back to your original 2.5 GB...

I am out of my league on this, and try to "grasp" straws to assist you, as I said earlier, I am not sure of this... ( and I have been proven wrong on things before ) -=- I am a mere learned Linux person, and many things I am but a "noob" at as well... From just running the CD, to even after I installed the whole enchilada onto my main system as its whole OS, I am still learning...

Hope this helps,
Ms. Cuddles