PDA

View Full Version : Installproblem: Usage for XDialogs

vullyman
07-24-2004, 08:57 AM
hello all,

I tried to install Knoppix 3.4 on a Compaq Proliant 1600 server with raid array 3200 controller. I have the problem that even though I created a 4 GB Linux partition (ReiserFS / Bootable) and a 512 MB Linux-Swap the system requirements seem not to be met.

When I use IGNORE_CHECK=1 on the knoppix installer (downloaded the latest version from the net) I end up with a textfile popping up that shows a file "Usage for XDialogs". When I choose next the script finishs and the shell prompt is again there. Install does not proceed.

Any ideas what could be the problem?

Thanks
Vullyman

shah
07-24-2004, 09:08 AM
I would sugest you create partition for linux from outside of knoppix, don't use qtpart,it's buggy. Try some googling and look for some partition management software that can create linux partition. Ex: Ranish,partition magic....

Create ext and linux swap.
When finish, then will you use knoppix cd to install.

If you don't want to use other partition manager, you could try boot from knoppix cd with cheatcode knoppix 2 so it won't enter kde. While in command line state, you could use this command : cfdisk to patition your hdd. After that, reboot your system and proceed with knopix installation.

vullyman
07-24-2004, 10:25 AM
I partitioned the disk with Partition Magic and with this I got one step or better one form further. I still need the IGNORE_CHECK=1 and then I can choose the setup typ but after that again the Usage for XDialogs pops up and that finishes the script. :cry:

shah
07-25-2004, 11:06 AM
Sorry, I missed that you are using RAID ARRAY. That is the problem.
I don't know how to do it on raid, but i found something that might help you.
http://www.geekcomix.com/cgi-bin/classnotes/wiki.pl?UNIX02/Install_Knoppix_On_A_Software_RAID

Good luck.

vullyman
07-26-2004, 10:21 PM
I tried without the RAID Array (lets take it one step after the other) and what a nice surprise the installer runs through... :D

unfortunately the next issue is already there :cry:
The mouse does not work... it stay right in the middle of the screen. But that was already the same with the Knoppix from CD.

shah
07-27-2004, 06:20 AM
I don't know what type of mouse you have.
You have to do some editing in your /etc/X11/XF86Config-4
for the mouse to work.
Or you could try run kxconfig in root shell.

shah
07-27-2004, 06:26 AM
Forgot to ask you...is your mouse hang on both kernel?
Some people only has problem with either one kernel. Mine with kernel 2.4.26.

vullyman
07-27-2004, 11:41 PM
it's a simple PS/2 mouse (3 button mouse no wheel) and I can only boot the standard kernel 2.4.26. The 2.6 kernel does panic...

I had not yet time to edit /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 or use kxconfig....

thanks a lot for your help!

shah
07-28-2004, 02:38 AM
You could try edit your /etc/lilo.conf first.Append nowheelmouse in your kernel 2.4.26 lines, example:

image=/boot/vmlinuz-2.4.26
label="Linux2.4"
initrd=/boot/initrd.img-2.4.26
append="ramdisk_size=100000 init=/etc/init lang=us apm=power-off nomce alsa nowheelmouse"

and DON'T FORGET to update your lilo, type lilo in root shell.

vullyman
07-28-2004, 10:35 PM
I edited the lilo.conf and added the nowheelmouse but this did not yet help... so I will try to get this working with XF86Config-4 and/or kxconfig.

thanks