PDA

View Full Version : Is it possible to view MSW hidden files on GNU?

Zerro
07-24-2004, 10:39 AM
I burnt some files to CD. They were hidden on MSWindows. They don't show up now when I look for them on a GNU system. Even when I have "show hidden files" checked. I suspect that MSW and Unix has incompatible file hiding methods.

Is there a way around this or do I have to find a MSW machine, unhide and reburn?

Cuddles
07-24-2004, 08:04 PM
Zerro,

First of all, I am no expert on this subject, most of this is "conjecture", since I have never "delved" into either MSW's or Linux's way of saving the bytes that hold the "protection" of there respective file systems... So, I guess what I am saying is, take this with a "grain of salt", so to speak... ( I am sure others have more "indepth" information on the file bits )

Windows knows about its own files, and appears to have no clue what a "Linux" file is, or what to do with it, or even read it. On the other hand, Linux, understands its own files, and has been given information on other file systems files structure. ( i.e. FAT, VFAT, and NTFS )

My theory on the whole Linux behind Windows' back playing, is, look but don't touch. I have viewed MSW's files, but never "tinkered" with them, and have yet, had problems with Windows not being able to use its own files. My guess is, if you change file "properties" from within Linux, to a file that belongs to Windows, they may not be "compatable" protection information. At least NTFS is closer to Linux, as far as what "types" of bits are being set for protection; user, group, and world - and of these; write, read, and execute -=- but I am not sure if they use the "same" ways of storing those bits for the file.

Maybe a test before you burn... Try a small file, one that might fit on a floppy, set the files protection with MSW's ( maybe three files; hidden, read-only, etc... ) -=- then see what you can do to them in Linux ( possibly change the files protections on the floppy, then go back to MSW's and see what it thinks of the "protection changes". My best attempt here...

Hope this helps,
Ms. Cuddles