PDA

View Full Version : CD eject with KNOPPIX live

Mark Walter
07-24-2004, 02:50 PM
Is it possible to eject the CD when running KNOPPIX live? I know of some other live distrobution (Slax) that have a eject cheatcode, but I did not see one for KNOPPIX

Mark

Cuddles
07-24-2004, 08:15 PM
Mark,

I don't think so... I think Knoppix "locks" the CD-ROM device, so that it knows the drive, and its disc, will be there when it needs it...

The only way, I've heard, of getting that disc out of the drive, when booting -=- other than from a hard drive "complete" install -=- is to use some of the "poor man's" techniques... Like copy the ISO to the hard drive and boot from a floppy that points to the hard drive image...

Maybe someone else has better ideas, and probably has done them, for me, I did the complete hard drive install... So, I am probably not the best of help here, especially on this subject, but, I try... But, I have read a few posts of other people working on this same subject, and have "pieced together" some of that information...

Hope this helps,
Ms. Cuddles

mzilikazi
07-25-2004, 06:24 PM
Is it possible to eject the CD when running KNOPPIX live? I know of some other live distrobution (Slax) that have a eject cheatcode, but I did not see one for KNOPPIX

Mark

Yes indeed it is IF (and this is a big if) you have 1G of system RAM. Not system RAM +Swap as that won't work. Knoppix is quite fast running from RAM. Use the toram cheatcode. If you have only 768M RAM then it would be possible to boot a 500M .iso into RAM as well. Of course you could always boot the .iso directly from hdd which in turn frees up your cdrom.